Management of a new account on a single computer - not mixing or deleting the previous library

Hello!
I have a small issue figuring out if I will have a big trouble with an upcomming work.
I have a current Zotero account (this one) for my thesis.
I work on a single computer, and I use both the desktop program and the Firefox extension. Usually I pick references and documents with the extension, then manage and edit them with the desktop program, eventually adding them in my paper through the Microsoft Word Extension.
My storage is almost full (but I'm close to the end, so I don't worry much ;).

Now, my director needs some work from me. Basically my director has a huge library of references I need to sort and tag.

I am not sure what is the best process to follow so that I can access this new library (I need to open and read some part of the documents, so just the references isn't enough).

Shall I create a new Zotero account, then my director can share the library to me? Because with my current account, I will surely be out of storage.
That sounds like the most normal solution to me.

However how will it affect my current account?
My desktop program and my Firefox extension are linked, synchronised.
When I log out from the extension and program, then log in with my new account, won't it delete everything from my computer (even if it's still stored online?). And then everytime I switch between accounts, the whole library (references + documents) are re-downloaded (re-synchronised?).

Another solution I considered was as follows:
- my director export the library in an archive
- I log out my desktop program
- I cut the auto-synchronisation
- I log in the new account in my desktop program
- I import the archived library of my director.

In a nutshell, I would really appreciate a little hinsight and insight on my uncertainties :p

I am sorry if the message is somehow long, I just wanted to give the whole picture with the more details.

Thanks!
  • edited October 20, 2016
    The best way to do this would be to use a group library with your existing account. Group libraries are completely separate from your personal library.

If that won't work, then you should make a new Firefox profile, which will allow you to make a new Zotero database without removing the old one. (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profiles-where-firefox-stores-user-data)
  • Hello!

Thank you for your answer :-) I'm going to try the new Firefox profile thingy.

Little additional questions:

When I'm in the Firefox on the new profile linked with the library, what will happen in the desktop program?

And a linked question: if, in the desktop program, I use another account by putting in a new account login / password, what happens of all the references AND documents of the previous account? Are they still somehow stored on the computer in a folder related to the account, and the new account opens a new folder?
  • Note: I would usually try and experiment by myself instead of bombing a forum with questions, but I'm just afraid of a wrong manipulation that would delete/flush my libraries... so I'd rather ask!

Sorry if I am too demanding or troublesome :/
  • When I'm in the Firefox on the new profile linked with the library, what will happen in the desktop program?
    they'll be like two entirely separate programs with distinct databases, not connected in any way.
    And a linked question: if, in the desktop program, I use another account by putting in a new account login / password, what happens of all the references AND documents of the previous account? Are they still somehow stored on the computer in a folder related to the account, and the new account opens a new folder?
    you don't want to do that -- since the data will, in fact, still be on your computer, you'll mix the content of the two accounts. Zotero will display a warning before doing that, but better not get to that point at all. (The next major version of Zotero, 5.0, does have a function to actually "log out" of your local Zotero, i.e. remove local content, though).

(and no, please do ask. Some things are easier when you just try them, this definitely isn't one of them).