Cannot add citation to a word document

Report ID: 830076962

I have mozilla firefox and word 2010 and am using the latest versions of mozilla, zotero and the plug ins. I hadn't tried to add any citations to my document for months but yesterday I started getting the error message "cannot edit citation without placing your cursor in it". I was trying to ADD a citation not edit one (using the add/edit button). Also, when I look at the list of references in the document a proportion of them only have the author and title and nothing else. I have tried updating zotero and the plug ins again but nothing has helped.

Any suggestions are gratefully received. I am close to finishing my thesis and it would be a massive headache to transfer to another reference manager!
  • Are things working in a blank, new document?
  • Things seem to be working again now so it must have been a temporary glitch. I have reinserted the bibliography again and it seems complete, so I think all has been solved, thank you.
  • Hi,

I am quite new to Zotero and I have checked the Video intros and browsed the forums; I don't find the Info I am looking for:

I am using Word for Mac 2016 and I can't get a bibliographic reference into a footnote.

I can Cite, I can create a bibliography within the text pages, but I can't get a reference in the footnote.
    I get the message, "Zotero Fields are not allowed here" when I try to insert a bibliography in the footnote area.
    Am i doing something wrong or doesn't this work at all ?

Thanks for help.
  • Klaus -- could you start a new thread, please ("Start a New Discussion" at the top left)? We'd like to keep threads very specific and while related, your issue isn't the same.

Generally citations in footnotes work, of course, so something isn't right. Could you try switching to a style that create footnotes such as Chicago Manual (full note)? (but again, do so in a new thread; you can copy your initial post here)
  • Hi, How do I add additional noted to a footnote? When I try to add notes by Standalone Note only a part of it is seen in the footnotes when I cite the Standalone note in word.
  • You can't cite notes currently. Just copy & paste their content into Word. For anything more, please also start a new thread.