Journal Labels from endnote are not exporting to zotero correctly

When I import a library from endnote the labels end up either missing or mixed up in other sections in the zotero library.
  • What do you mean by "journal label"?
    What file format are you using?
    Could you please give an example record from the exported file, say how it is stored in endnote, and how you think zotero should import it?

This will help us either fix an importer or advise you on ways to improve the export from endnote.
  • Here's a reference in Endnote:
    Reference Type: Book
    Record Number: 586
    Year: 1991
    Title: Aquaculture and the environment 1991 Dublin June 10-12 International conference & exhibition.
    Series Editor: Pauw, De; N.; Joyce; J.
    City: Gent, Belgium.
    Publisher: European Aquaculture Society special publication.
    Volume: No.16
    Short Title: Aquaculture and the environment 1991 Dublin June 10-12 International conference & exhibition.
    Label: 00542-L
    Note the last category, Label.
    When Importing with Zotero the "Label" number is appearing in different parts, for example, in Volume.
    We would like the Label category to remain as a category and to retain its number.

Thanks for your speedy reply.
  • Zotero had no label field and had no plans to add one. You may be able to get this data consistently into a field zotero dis have, but you would need to h give examples of your exported data.

See also https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/2015/importing-endnotes-label-field/
  • There seems to be a solution discussed in the link you just sent (below):
    How to I find the place to swap F for W?

Your workaround is to replace %F with something that will put the label in a different field.

%W might be good for you--it will put it in the location in archive field (and you are using this identifier to physically locate the article).

%O will get put in the "extra" field.
  • edited August 5, 2016
    That specific advice is confined to the Refer/BibIX format and is "dated". There are likely better formats to use instead now, but you have still not said what format you are using. If you are happy with the Refer format, though, you'd need to modify either endnote's exporter (refer totheir documentation and support on how) or would need to modify the exported file before importing to zotero (using e.g. a search and replace function in a text editor).
  • Sorry my mistake.
    I believe I'm using RIS.
    Can you advise accordingly please?

Thanks for your patience.
  • Please copy/paste an example record from the exported file. I don't have endnote and have no idea how they tag their label field.
  • Here's one that I exported to notepad and copied:

Reference Type: Journal Article
    Record Number: 94
    Title: Establishment of a database for trend monitoring of nutrients in the Irish sea.
    Short Title: Establishment of a database for trend monitoring of nutrients in the Irish sea.
    Label: 00088-L
    Keywords: Database; trend monitoring; nutrients; Irish.
  • Apologies, I think this is what you were looking for:

TY - JOUR
    TI - Monitoring the health of the ocean: defining the role of the continuous plankton recorder in global ecosystem studies.
    JF - IOC/INF-869
    N1 - Monitoring the health of the ocean: defining the role of the continuous plankton recorder in global ecosystem studies.
    N1 - 00688-L
    ID - 814
    ER -
  • Apologies again, here's a more complete one:

TY - JOUR
    AU - Skilbrei
    AU - O.T.
    AU - Espedal
    AU - G., P.
    AU - Nilsen
    AU - F.
    AU - Garcia
    AU - P., E.
    AU - Glover
    AU - A., K.
    PY - 2015
    TI - Evaluation of emamectin benzoate and substance EX against salmon lice in sea-ranched Atlantic salmon smolts
    SP - 187-194
    JF - Diseases of Aquatic Organisms
    VL - 113
    N1 - Evaluation of emamectin benzoate and substance EX against salmon lice in sea-ranched Atlantic salmon smolts
    N1 - 01660-L
    L1 - internal-pdf://Ove Tommy Skilbrei 2015-3780651782/Ove Tommy Skilbrei 2015.pdf
    KW - Aquaculture
    Atlantic Salmon
    Salmo salar
    Sea Lice
    Lepeophtheirus salmonis
    emamectin benzaote
    Substance EX
    UR - doi: 10.3354/dao02832
    ID - 2098
    ER -
  • In both of those records, endnote is exporting your label as a note. Because there is no difference to how that is exported compared to other notes, you will have to modify the endnote exporter. If you want it to be imported to the location in archive field, make the endnote exporter tag it with 'AN' rather than 'N1'. Again:their documentation should tell you how you can do this.
  • Thank you.
    I'll give that a go.
  • That worked perfectly.
    Thank you very much.