bug: quick search field does not change

Zotero Standalone 4.0.29.5 on OS X 10.11.6

in the quick search bar the search scope does not change after using the pull-down menu.
Whenever I select "Title, Creator, Year", "All Fields & Tags", or "Everything", the input field keeps reading "Title, Creator, Year". However, the search works as selected using the pull-down menu.
  • I can't reproduce this, and I can't recall anyone else reporting this. Do you still see it after restarting Zotero?
  • edited September 15, 2016
    https://s12.postimg.io/b6u4ihp31/Screen_Shot_2016_09_15_at_14_02_08.png

I've made a screenshot, currently in Zotero 4.0.29.11. Restarting does not help.

(btw, sorry for the late reply, I've enabled the 'reply notification by email', so I'll be quicker with extra information. Thank you for your time on Zotero!)
  • Weird. Can you provide a Report ID?
  • Report ID 2098458923
  • edited September 18, 2016
    Does it still happen if you disable the extensions you've installed (Better BibTeX, etc.)?

Also, probably not related, but your locale is set to "en-JP", which isn't correct. Is that coming from your system, or did you manually change the general.useragent.locale setting in about:config?
  • I have setup the locale to "en-JP" because that was the only combination I found which uses English interface with YYYY-MM-DD as the date format.

Anyway, the problem has been found and was indeed with the extensions! I have disabled all, restarted Zotero, the problem was gone. Next I have enabled them one by one and found that Zotero Auto Index was causing the trouble. I will submit a bug report on the corresponding GitHub.

Thanks for pointing me into the right direction. Dan!
  • OK, great.
    I have setup the locale to "en-JP" because that was the only combination I found which uses English interface with YYYY-MM-DD as the date format.
    Huh, interesting. That might not be reliable behavior going forward, but it's a clever hack.
  • For reasons I still don't understand, this glitch was caused by auto-index registering a prefs observer on the "extensions.zotero" branch. Just that. If I the observer did absolutely nothing, I still got that effect; if I just don't register the observer, the effect goes away. Zero errors in the logs of course, I really have no idea what is the actual cause of it. Using Zotero.Prefs.registerObserver (which I do now) seems to take care of it.