Note too large to sync

Hi everyone,
I am having trouble syncing my library. I keep getting the message: "note too large to sync." The program suggests that I make the note shorter or delete it and then empty the trash. I did that, but then the note came up again with another note. I think the problem lies in the images that I embedded in my notes. The images are clips from jpg or gif files (documents) from my research. Is this something that is not supportable in Zotero? I hope not! I just spent the last few days embedding them, since I previously lost the link between individual notes and the documents to which they refer when I migrated from KeyNote (not the apple program) to Zotero.
I really need some help!

Thanks
Colleen
  • It's not supported, sorry — the fact that you're able to embed them at all is a fluke, and they've never been able to be synced. (With auto-sync enabled, which is the default, you would've gotten that error immediately after embedding the first one.)

If you find the embedded images more useful than syncing, you could keep them in your library and just not sync for now. There's a decent chance a later version of Zotero will be able to handle syncing them, at which point they'd count against your file sync quota. (They're not synced now for technical reasons, but note content also isn't currently counted against the file sync quota, which would have to change.)
  • edited July 28, 2016
    Thanks Dan. Good to know about the syncing issue. I'm not sure what the implications might be if I don't sync. Does that mean that the stand alone version will be different than the Firefox plug in? I'm a Zotero novice (obviously). I've only used it to compile bibliographies. This is the first time I've really used it to write. Thanks again for your help.
  • The online version will be different, Zotero versions on different computers you may use are different, and you wouldn't have a complete online version in case you need it as a back-up (you should never rely on sync as a backup strategy).

With a standard setup, Standalone and Firefox version on the same computer will be identical, though. THey just share a data directory.
  • Thanks Adam. I really appreciate your remarks. I've learned a great deal!