Group libraries

Hello

I've read various posts about group libraries from a few years ago, but am hoping that developments in zotero mean more is possible.

I'm trying to share resources with people who cannot have zotero standalone or zotero in firefox/chrome/safari on their computers because of organisational restrictions.

My thoughts were to use a group library which is what I have done. Its being shared and one user is also adding references to it.

What I'm struggling with is how to migrate additional references that I've gathered myself using zotero standalone or Zotero in firefox to the group library. I still use zotero in Firefox (its speedier) and am running another machine (with a differnt zotero login) with standalone so I can update My library on that machine (as I don't want to sync all my references)

How do I get references added to the group library into My library and vice versa? Is there an elegant way of doing this?

Thanks

Debbie
  • You can just drag&drop in Firefox or Standalone: https://www.zotero.org/support/groups#interact_with_groups_through_the_zotero_client
  • Hi

I just sync'd but the items added online are not in my library. The link says you can drag and drop from My library to the group library, but what about the other way round?

Zotero standalone and zotero in Firefox are much more flexible and user friendly, so while I want others to be able to add references online I also want to easily be able to have everything that is shared on my computer... if that makes sense.

Thanks

Debbie
  • If you're a member of the group, syncing will definitely, well, sync between online and Firefox/Standalone library.
    Otherwise see https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/changes_not_syncing
    (but make sure you're syncing with the same account that belongs to the relevant groups).

You can drag&drop in both directions -- to and from group.
  • I'm the owner of the group, signed in as that person but its not working.
  • What exactly isn't working? The group libraries don't show up at all or changes in them don't sync to your local Zotero?
  • changes in them don't sync to your local Zotero and vice versa
  • OK, see the changes not syncing link above.
  • I've reviewed that page and none of those issues are true in my case.

On drag and drop - can't get that to work either. From online library to standalone something gets added but not the reference - I get web page Title: Zotero | PBI Research - 2016 > library
    all other fields blank except date fields and URL field which is a link to the group library.

From Standalone to group nothing changes on drag and drop

Debbie
  • Drag & drop happens all in the client (that is, Zotero Standalone), not between online library and Standalone. That's why you first need to sync successfully.

I feel like we're talking past each other at some point. Could you maybe describe in more specific terms what you're seeing and not seeing in Zotero Standalone?
    - do you see the group in Standalone?
    - do you see the relevant collections in Standalone?
    - do you get the signs of a successful sync in Standalone?
  • hello again

Lightbulb moment - I was looking at the group library online and trying to drag and drop into the standalone library...

Have now figured out how it works.

Thanks

Debbie