Import BibTeX files from Mendeley preserving linked files

Hi,

I am trying to move on from Mendeley to Zotero. I work in Windows 10.

I have about 4800 entries in my database and they are all linked to PDF files that are stored in several subfolders in a folder called "References". That folder is about 16 GB big.

As a test I have exported a few entries from Mendeley into a bibtex file. Importing it in Zotero produces the following problems:
- if the name of the PDF file contains underscores, Mendeley replaces them with "{\_}". Zotero creates the entry but fails to import the PDF file in this case.
- Correcting the underscores in the bibtex file fixes the previous problem.
- However, Zotero does not recognise the name of the PDF file and creates a file called "Attachment.pdf" in "zotero/storage" in the user profile location (in C:\Users\etc...).

I understand making a copy of the PDF file in the user's profile might be a standard approach in Zotero but that would not work for me. I do not want to duplicate 16 GB of files on my computer. So I would prefer to keep them as linked files.

Is there a way to achieve the import of my library to Zotero without duplicating all the PDF files?
  • The underscore issue is clearly a Mendeley bug -- they should leave the filenames and paths alone in bibtex.

Importing as links from bibtex isn't currently possible in Zotero by default. I'm traveling, so I don't have time to look this up for you, but there is a thread with a scripted solution that I believe does do this.
  • Thanks for your answer.

I did find a three year old thread that does mention the same exact problem. However, I could not find anyone providing a solution. The only thing that seems to come close was the link at the end of the thread to something called Zotplus.

I am not sure you had Zotplus in mind. And I don't know how this works (is this a plugin?).