Cannot integrate new citations into existing bibliography

When I add a new citation, the Zotero plug-in starts a new bibliography in the existing word document rather than integrating the citation into the existing bibliography. I'm using the Mac, Chrome plug-in. Any guidance is much appreciated!
  • Unfortunately, that'd only happen if the old citations/bibliography are no longer active Zotero fields. There's a couple of ways that happens, most commonly by saving the document in an unsupported format, e.g. as .rtf, or saving a word doc as .odt
  • Is there any way to fix that? Or find out where along the line it happened? Thanks!
  • Hi, do you have any advice on how to proceed? Do I need to reenter the entire library? Thanks.
  • Very hard to track down where/how this happened unless you have versioned back-ups of the file you could go back to (e.g. via Dropbox). If you have any idea of having opened the file with other software or saved it in a different format, that's almost always the case. Zotero citations are stored in Word fields -- a standard component of a Word file. They don't just disappear without reason.

I don't see, unfortunately, an alternative to re-inserting the citations with Zotero (unless, again, you still have a back-up where they still work).