What does this mean please [JavaScript Error: "Attempting to use a disconnected port object" {file

I'm an IT idiot, please don't shame me. ;)

Have no idea what this means or why Zotero isn't working right now.

Is it me? Or is it you/them?

Do I need to do something to fix it? (please talk in human sentence with words of one syllable or less...)

Thanks
  • edited June 30, 2016
    Messages in error reports are for developers — you're not meant to understand or worry about them.

What's the actual problem you're facing?

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems
  • I just can't seem to save any items right now, using my usual (click the icon in the bar) method - an error message comes up to say zotero connector isn't connected. I've logged in again, refreshed etc and all seems fine. The little blue icon is greyed out.

Currently using Chrome.

Thanks
  • This is the pop-up error message: This item could not be saved because Zotero Standalone is not open or unreachable. Please open Zotero Standalone and try again.
  • OK, and is Zotero Standalone open?

What do you see if you try to load http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping in Chrome?
  • No - because it currently says 'Zotero Standalone is unavailable'

That link says:

This site can’t be reached

127.0.0.1 refused to connect.
    Try:
    Reloading the page
    Checking the connection
    Checking the proxy and the firewall
    ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED
  • edited June 30, 2016
    Right, so you need to be running Zotero Standalone.

If you can't or don't want to do that, the Zotero Chrome connector can save directly to zotero.org, but only on pages where it recognizes metadata. It can't currently save regular webpages directly to zotero.org, which means when you see the gray icon (and right-clicking shows "Save to Zotero (Web Page)") it won't work.

That should change in the near future, but for normal usage, you should just always have Zotero Standalone open. If you don't have it, you should install it from the download page.