Syncing error

Can someone please tell me what this message connected to the red exclamation point error flag in my Group Zotero account means?

The file 'C:\Users\Mary\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\27sjukef.default\zotero\storage\6I2Z2EHF\prn.sitepreview.js' cannot be created.

Check that the file is not currently in use, that its permissions allow write access, and that it has a valid filename.

Restarting your computer or disabling security software may also help.
  • Most likely security software on your system is preventing Zotero from saving a file from a snapshot. You can try one of these things:

1) Paste 6I2Z2EHF into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in the correct group to see the item in question, and optionally delete it and empty the trash.

2) Prevent your security software from scanning the Zotero data directory.

3) Switch Zotero to download files "as needed" from the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences to avoid downloading all files by default.
  • I work with Mary and wanted to reach back out to explain further the issue we are having with Zotero. We have a number of people sharing a group and syncing everything in that group into the Firefox plug in and/or the stand alone Zotero Windows program.

Recently, there have been attachments (pdf's, ppt's, pptx's) that when one person attaches them, they do not sync properly to the other users sharing the group. The listing of the item syncs to their computer but not the actual file and we receive an error that says the file can not be found. Interestingly, if we log into the Zotero website, we can access the files. Thus we know it is not a sync issue from the originating user that added the file but rather the sync back down to other users.

While Mary and another user are seeing an error as she described above, I don't have that issue on my Zotero but yet we still have the same file access issue. Any ideas?
  • Of course after posting that last comment, I found this article which seems to address the issue - https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/files_not_syncing

I was not able to solve the issue but I believe I did successfully upload a debug file - D1110405056.

ben
  • From the error message above, it just sounds like a Snapshot fails to sync and then Zotero stops file syncing because of the error. Are you sure you have the same security software setup? The fact that, at least in the error message, it's a javascript file that fails to sync would suggest it might be a virus scanner at work.