icon is missing in firefox

Sorry to post such a beginners question. I cannot get the icon on the firefox toolbar. I installed and reinstalled. Looked in plugins, extension and addons. Followed the article from the zotero site. It does not appear. What am I doing wrong.
Thanks for your help.
  • So Zotero is listed and enabled under about:addons in Firefox, correct? And you don't see anything at the top left? How about when you click on "Customize" (under the three bars/tools menu on the top right). Do you get the Z icon there?
  • Hi. Thanks for getting back to me. No it was not listed. I added the extension that I manually could download. I have the latest firefox and zotero. Sync is on.
  • Hi. Same to me. Everthing seem to be OK... but zotero icon does not appear.
  • Me too! Also when I go to Zotero under the Tools menu, I get a message saying "There was an error starting Zotero". It's enabled under extensions though...
  • claire -- start a new thread please. Start by making sure you have the most recent version of Zotero and Firefox installed (4.0.29.x and 47, respectively), if so see
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#reporting_startup_errors on reporting startup errors.
  • hi Adam - thanks so much for pointing out the version, it turned out I did not have the latest version (even though "check for updates" in the firefox extensions tab was turning up "no updates found"), so I removed the extension and just re-installed it...and now the Z icon is back and working! thanks again!
  • Great! As in the most of the cases, when we deal with software issues, just re-intalling the problem was solved. Thanks Adam!