Zotero to endnote with all attachments osx

Zotero 4.0.29.5
Endnote X7.5.3
OSX 10.11.5

Hi, I need to export Zotero references to endnote. All I try, fails to bring in pdfs and etc, and cant find nothing that helps;

I just want a simple export from zotero into endnote with all that I see in zotero (all = pdf mainly)

Easy right? NO! HELP!
  • I'd ask over at Endnote. Zotero has both RIS and EndnoteXML export with files and file links. We use a very reasonable schema (i.e. relative links at the same level as the exported file) for this. Endnote should be able to tell you how to get those files during import (the should really just implement proper support for it, but wouldn't get my hopes up there).
  • Please reply if you have a real answer, not go here go there.

THis is a Zotero issue, since it should not export folders and create bibliography file (e.g. .RIS) with the link to pdf to whatever zotero likes.

If Zotero is suppose to be useful and semi-open but we pay for it, it should not have odd features preventing annoyances thus not useful.
  • edited June 13, 2016
    1. Zotero isn't semi open but completely open. http://github.com/zotero/
    2. It's also completely free. You only pay for file sync with the Zotero server, not for using the software.
    3. There is no established standard for file export in a reference managers. The strategy used by Zotero is the only way to allow import and export both on the same computer and on different computers. Compare that with file export in Endnote, which only works on the same machine _and_ if you know the location of the Endnote Data folder.
    4. Zotero has extensive documentation on importing _from_ Endnote, which is the component we have control over. We can't influence how Endnote behaves on import, so it only makes sense to send you to their support, just as they would with roles reversed, so this is very much a real answer, and it's the best answer you're going to get.
  • 1- whatever you call it, if you compile a software and package it, even if its source is is on git, it is not open anymore.
    2-I pay for sync so it helps zotero development costs, you think who pays for tiny quota spaces when there is better options?
    3- so cup-out on not willing to find a solution
    4- another cup-out for not willing to support the software to the needs of people who use it

Not very academic of you :(
  • I don't understand why you don't want to ask Endnote support about this? I tried to explain to you why they're in a better position to answer this and they have an excellent reputation.

(the idea that software isn't open anymore if it's compiled is a bit odd. By that logic, there is effectively no open software. FWIW, though, the components of Zotero affecting export are not, in any way, compiled and you can edit them with immediate effect should you choose to:
    relevant code:
    https://github.com/zotero/translators/blob/master/RIS.js
    instructions:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/translators/coding )
  • When you compile software, who knows what code was actually part of the compiling vs what is only in the git version.

And again the solution is, code it myself. Cool, what if I was not capable or had the time to? Why why buy or use software from developers....

No need for another reply unless, you are going to sate: oh we have added a feature to export zotero in a way one expects it would work; i.e., actually work.
  • Thread can be closed.

For the record, though, Zotero isn't compiled in the technical sense. It's just packaged, and every line of running code is visible for a running installation of Zotero. You can, in fact, run the Firefox add-on straight from a git clone.
    Zotero also comes with build scripts for the standalone versions, so that any interested party could run those and compare their hash sums against official Zotero builds in case of any doubt. The same is true for the Word template files. There is literally no way to be more open with your code than Zotero is.
  • studentofscience: You're either trolling or confused about the technical issues here. Your question is about the other software you're using — EndNote — not Zotero.

As adamsmith says:
    We can't influence how Endnote behaves on import, so it only makes sense to send you to their support, just as they would with roles reversed, so this is very much a real answer, and it's the best answer you're going to get.
    Closing this thread.

(By the way, though it doesn't make any sense in this context, since EndNote isn't our software, the term you're trying to use is "cop-out", not "cup-out".)
This discussion has been closed.