Zotero Firefox won't accept password

Hi

Report: 153687592

I have a zotero standalone installation that syncs, but the firefox plugin won't accept my password in the settings field. Firefox does have the password stored (I used it to log in here).

In the preferences I copy and paste my password into the field, it shows many dots, I click 'Close' (the only button). When I check the field is blank. When I try to sync I get the message

The Zotero sync server did not accept your username and password.

Please check that you have entered your zotero.org login information correctly in the Zotero sync preferences.

XUbuntu 16.04.

Thank you, Tom
  • Assuming you're not using a master password and cancelling a prompt, that'd generally be from a corrupted Firefox login manager (and normally you should get an error about that from Zotero). Your best bet is to close Firefox, remove cert8.db, key3.db, and logins.json from your Firefox profile directory (backing them up in case this doesn't fix it), and then re-enter your login info.
  • edited May 20, 2016
    Thank you Dan. I tried this, and it didn't work.

The dialogue still had my user name, and a blank password field. As before when I copy and paste the password in dots appear, but after I hit the close button the field reverts to blank.

Perhaps this is the same problem as in the thread https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/49595/sync-server-did-not-accept-your-username-and-password/? No-one there mentioned that the field was blank though.

BTW, if I open firefox before I open Zotero standalone, the firefox zotero app tab remains blank. I have to open Zotero standalone, and then close it (!) to get Firefox to display my library. I guess this is by design?

Thanks, Tom
    edit: spelling
  • So if you clear those files, you should no longer have passwords for websites. Is that correct? If you then try to save a password for a website, and then restart Firefox and return to the site, is the password saved?
  • Hi Dan,

Thanks for looking into this. Yes the password had to be re-entered, and then was saved. I did this and tested about an hour ago. No joy. Then about 15 minutes ago Zotero in firefox stopped showing a blank page, and started showing the library without needing me to start the Standalone version first then close it (see above), and everything works now. So problem solved (touch wood). No idea what changed - there was no reboot or anything, just time went by.

So I guess it is fine. I'll follow up if it comes back.

Best, Tom