Files in database for zotero sync using WebDAV not synced

Hello!
I am really a zotero fan. The modular structure of zotero is very impressive. However, currently I wonder if the observed behaviour is as intended!? I moved my Zotero-data to a my Webspace at hidrive and followed all the instructions in the provided zotero-guide (included in the download). Im am using the standalone Version of zotero on two computers (1 and 2). I Need to take care that zotero is never run on both computers at the same time and that zotero is only opened after the synchronization with the data on hidrive is done. If I do that, the synchronisation between zotero on computer 1 and zotero on computer 2 works fine. However, if I have a look to the data base (with all the PDF files) the files there don´t change. E.g. if I delete a PDF in zotero on computer 1, the file is deleted on zotero on computer 2 as well, but the file still exists in the data base. This can cause problems as files sometimes have to be renamed. If I rename a file on zotero on computer 1 it appears with the new name on computer 2, but keeps its Initial Name in the database... Is this behaviour considered normal and just one of the disadvantages of WebDAV use? Is there any way to get that problem solved?
Thanks in advance. (And thanks for that great tool!)
Michael ;)
  • you're not using WebDAV as intended. Syncing your database through any syncing protocol other than Zotero -- be it Dropbox or WebDAV or something else -- is not supported, risky, and we can't really help you as long as you're doing that.

You can set up to sync the Zotero database through Zotero (for free regardless of size) and enable file sync through WebDAV in the preferences. You would see correct behavior with respect to attachments.
  • Hello adamsmith and thank you for your answer!
    I know that this would be risky. For that reason I decided to do it as you describe. Data syncing with zotero and file syncing with WebDAV – as intended by zotero, isn´t it? I am not aware that I am doing something wrong there. I think my preferences are just as they should be, aren´t they? If I am really using WebDAV in the wrong way, could anyone please help me to out? At the moment the settings look as follows:
    ----------
    ZOTERO SYNC SERVER
    Username: Michael Schmid
    Password: *********
    No tick: automatic synchronisation
    Ticked: full-text content synchronisation

FILE SYNCHRONISATION
    Ticked: sync attached files in my bibliography with WebDAV
    URL: https://webdav.hidrive.strato.com/users/michael.schmid/zotero/
    Username: Michael Schmid
    Password: *********
    Download files: during synchronisation
    Ticked: synchronize attached files in groups with zotero storage
    Download files: during synchronisation
    ----------
    What am I doing wrong here? Isn´t that the way WebDAV should be used?

Thank you for your help!
    Michael
    ...is there a way to place a picture (of my settings) her?
  • oh OK, that's right then. But what do you mean by this part then:
    "I moved my Zotero-data to a my Webspace at hidrive"
    I'd be concerned that that affects what's happening to files.

With Zotero normally set up and synced
    - a PDF you delete from Zotero will be removed on all instances of Zotero
    - a PDF renamed from within Zotero will be renamed on all instances of Zotero
  • With that part I mean that in my settings my storage location is set to a folder on my hidrive-cloud.
    - a PDF you delete from Zotero will be removed on all instances of Zotero
    - a PDF renamed from within Zotero will be renamed on all instances of Zotero
    That is what happens. I can see changes in all instances of Zotero. But if I have a look into the folder where the data is kept (a look into the folder storage location) I see that the pdfs are not changed according to these changes (no renaming, no deleting there). However in all instances of Zotero the changes are correct. Do you understand what I mean? If I delete a file in a zotero instance, it is also deleted in the other instance, but not in the storage location….
  • yeah, that obviously works in a functioning Zotero version. It'd be a rather big problem if it didn't.

I'd assume the problem is related in one way or the other to your hidrive storage.
  • So your suggestion is to just try it out with another storage service and the same settings?
    By the way is synchronisation via WebDAV generally slower than using sync with Zotero? It takes 3-5 minutes until I can open Zotero on computer 2 after changing something on computer 1…
  • edited April 29, 2016
    There's no built-in speed difference between WebDAV and Zotero storage, no. The speed of your WebDAV may vary, obviously.

And yes, I'd try moving the data directory to a local harddisk and off any cloud syncing and see if that makes a difference.