LibreOffice Integration Failure

I have the Libreoffice add-on and integration installed, but nothing happens when I click any of the toolbar buttons. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling both Libreoffice and the add-on, to no avail. When I attempt to reinstall the integration within Firefox, it says the following:

nstallation could not be completed because an error occurred. Please ensure that LibreOffice/OpenOffice.org/NeoOffice is closed, and then restart Firefox.

It says this when Libreoffice is closed, and after I have restarted Firefox. When I attempt a manual installation, Libreoffice goes to "not responding."
  • As a follow-up, a couple hours after re-installing the Firefox plugin, it says it has been disabled by Firefox because it is not verified. It did not say this initially. Is this perhaps the source of the problem? How can I fix it?
  • Which version of Firefox and Firefox plugin do you use?
  • Firefox 45.0.2 and Libreoffice plugin 3.5.12. As I woke up, Firefox just updated to 46, but it doesn't seem to have changed anything.
  • I've never seen this -- usually when this fails it's just the Java implementation in LO, but that would throw a corresponding error on manual install. Which version of LibreOffice on which OS?
  • Libreoffice 5.1.2002 on Mac OS X 10.11.4

I can run through everything again and see if things change. Every time I re-install the plugin, it "works" to the point where I get the above error message, but by a few hours later, Firefox has disabled it again.
  • In LibreOffice, can you check which JRE is enabled?
    In Windows/Linux, that's under Tools --> Options --> Advanced, but might be in a different menu in the Mac version IIRC.
  • Aha. There aren't any listed (though I don't know why not). Which one should I download?

Also, FWIW, on Mac OS X this can be found under Preferences --> Advanced
  • So these instructions are from other users
    https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#mac1
    but I've had multiple confirmations they work, so try that.
  • edited April 27, 2016
    Awesome, working now. Thanks much for your patience. I think for my next project I may switch over and try to write in Markdown to use the new system you all have set up, but it seems like to use it now I would have to re-format everything I have written into Pandoc Markdown correct? If so, for now, a working scannable cite will be just dandy.
  • edited April 27, 2016
    UPDATE: So that all worked for about five minutes, and then Firefox disabled the Libreoffice extension again, saying it could not be verified. Do I need to manually over-ride it?

EDIT: RTF/ODF Scan within the Zotero Firefox now does what Libreoffice was doing a bit ago--clicking upload button does nothing, and will not bring up a window to upload a paper. Checked Firefox, and it said my Java was up to date. Uninstalled and re-installed RTF/ODF, no change. Sorry to be so difficult.
  • edited April 27, 2016
    Could you check which version of ODF Scan you're running?
    (ODF Scan doesn't require Java -- there's a good case to be made to disable Java in all your browsers)

(And yes, I wouldn't switch to MD in the middle of the project)

edit: hmm - the disabling makes no sense to me. Maybe just install Standalone and use that for the time being?
  • ODF Scan version 1.0.23

Downloaded Standalone, and the RTF/ODF plugin for it, and it's working (at least for the moment).
  • I'm not sure what to do about the verification. Both the ODF scan add-on and the LO add-on are obviously verified, so something in your Firefox is amiss. Maybe Dan has an idea, otherwise ask mozilla?
  • About failure to start Zotero in LibreOffice 5 after installation.

I have found how to work.
    With that, a Gnome expert will probably be able to locate and fix the bug.
    Starting LO-writer for the first time by hitting the Favorites icon, Zotero menu is not visible (expect a group of 4 buttons at left end of the bar under the File menu).
    Hitting View->Toolbars shows Zotero. No effect, annoying...

So, I closed LO-writer and restarted it from the command line [username@n3010]~>libreoffice
    The button group is there and works perfectly!
    If you close LO-writer , then you can even reopen from the Favorites icon in Gnome top bar.
    BUT, if you hit View->Toolbars->Zotero and turn the toolbar off and on, it will neither accept to work again nor to restart after closing, until you give the command line.
    THUS it is OFF by default and remains ON once launching with the command turns it on.

I have not tried to start from rebooting followed by Favorites icon before writing this note. Does not seem worth holding the post.