Collapse Year-Suffix in Chicago Manual of Style

Hello,

My office uses the Chicago Manual of Style 16th Edition (author-date) style for citations and bibliographies. A citation with multiple sources looks like this:

(Achazi et al. 1995; ACHP 1966; ADEC 1999a; ADEC 1999b; ADEC 1999c; ADEC 2002a; ADEC 2002b; ANSI 2003a; ANSI 2003b)

We would like the citation to have collapsed authors and suffixes and commas within groups:

(Achazi et al. 1995; ACHP 1966; ADEC 1999a, b, c, 2002a, b; ANSI 2003a, b)

So, I inserted collapse="year-suffix" and cite-group-delimiter=", " into the <citation …> line in the Standalone style editor. Now, the citation looks like this:

(Achazi et al. 1995; ACHP 1966; ADEC 1999a, [b], [c], [a] 2002, [b]; ANSI 2003a, [b])

I got the commas to work but there are brackets enclosing the suffixes and the [a] appears before 2002 for ADEC.

Could someone help, please?
  • you're doing everything right.
    Something isn't working correctly (and I can reproduce this, even with just adding collapse="year" to the style).
  • edited April 23, 2016
    It's a clear bug in the processor - thanks for reporting this. For a quick-and-simple fix, remove the original-date element from the date-in-text macro as follows:

<macro name="date-in-text">
    <choose>
    <if variable="issued">
    <group delimiter=" ">
    &lt;!-- date variable="original-date"
    form="text" date-parts="year"
    prefix="[" suffix="]"/ --&gt;
    <date variable="issued">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </group>
    </if>
    <else-if variable="accessed">
    <date variable="accessed">
    <date-part name="year"/>
    </date>
    </else-if>
    <else-if variable="status">
    <text variable="status"/>
    </else-if>
    <else>
    <text term="no date" form="short"/>
    </else>
    </choose>
    </macro>

The affixes on that node are being applied to the issued date that follows it, which is very wrong and needs to be fixed.

The year-suffix can be expressed in two ways in CSL: it can occur implicitly (as in this style); or it can be set explicitly with a <text variable="year-suffix"/> node in the citation and in the bibliography. Some quick testing shows that the latter method actually doesn't work with collapse="year-suffix", so use the fix above in the short term, and we’ll try to get a complete solution to these issues out soon.

However ... with collapse="year-suffix" in this style, and with an item that has a value for original-date, I'm not sure what should happen with collapsing. On the current logic, you would get something like this ...

Aalto 2015,[1990]; Bartleby 2010
    ... which is unlikely to lead the reader to the second Aalto reference—and if that quandary leads to confirming the removal of the original-date element from the in-text cite, the problem will be “solved,” of course.
  • The bugs in the processor have been fixed, and the original style code should run okay in the new version (with the caveat the original-date will mess things up, as per above). To try the code, install one of the Propachi plugins. (The plugin can and should be removed when the new processor in adopted in a future Zotero release.)
  • I get
    (Piliavin and Briar 1964a, b 1964) now for

Piliavin, Irving, and Scott Briar. 1964a. “Police Encounters With Juveniles.” American Journal of Sociology 70 (2): 206–14.
    ———. 1964b. “Police Encounters With Juveniles.” American Journal of Sociology 70 (2): 206–14.

with Chicago (author-date) with collapse="year" added. Should be
    (Piliavin and Briar 1964a, 1964b)

collapse="year-suffix" works correctly, though.
  • edited April 24, 2016
    Oops, that's not right. I found another bug as well: the group delimiter was being swallowed by explicit year-suffix. Both are fixed in the latest Propachi plugins.
  • Looks perfect now, thanks!
  • Thank you very much for all your help.