Can't Uninstall Zotero

Whenever I open a MS Word document, I get the message: "This document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only?"

When I go into a Word document and view macros, I see 7 macro names for Zotero (for example: ZoteroEditBibliography).

In 2012 I installed Zotero Standalone, it did not meet my needs, and I stopped using it right away. It is still listed in my list of programs, but nothing happens when I click on the icon or try to launch it from my list of programs. I tried to uninstall it, but nothing happens. My uninstall function is working correctly, because I successfully uninstalled another program.

I am using Windows 7.

Can you tell me how to uninstall it? Thank you very much.
  • Not sure why it didn't uninstall for you, but to remove it, delete zotero.dot or zotero.dotm from your Word startup folder
    https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#locating_your_word_startup_folder
    has instructions on how to find said folder.
  • Hi Adam:

Thank you for your reply.

When I go into "AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word > STARTUP", it says "No items match your search".
  • Note that these are the default paths -- the top of that section of the page has instructions on how to actually find that folder.

Also, make sure to show hidden files&folders.
  • Hi Adam:

I checked the Windows Folder Options "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" > Apply > OK.

I looked for the Firefox profile two ways: "%APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox/Profiles\" and substituted Zotero for Firefox. For both of them I got the messages "Windows cannot find "C:\Users ... Profiles\"
  • No, not the Firefox profile. You want to identify your Word Startup folder.

This is the relevant passage:

The correct folder can be found in the Options window of Word:
    Word 2003 and earlier

Open the Tools menu and click Options. Under the 'File Locations' tab you will find the Startup directory.
    Word 2007 or later

Click the Microsoft Office Button in the top-left corner (in Word 2010 the “File” tab replaces the Microsoft Office Button), and then click Word Options. Click Advanced. Under General, click File Locations. The Startup folder should be listed there. Select it and click modify. Placing the cursor in the location bar at the top of the window will allow you to copy the complete path to the Startup folder. Click Cancel to close the dialog.
  • Hi Adam:

I found Zotero.dot in "AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word > STARTUP". I tried to delete it, but it said "File In Use The action can't be completed because the file is open in Microsoft Word Close the file and try again. Zotero.dot ...."

When I go into MS Word and look in View > Macros, I see "ZoteroEditBibliography" , followed by 7 names. I don't know how to disable/uninstall these. I'm assuming this is the reason I can't delete the Zotero.dot in STARTUP.
  • have you made sure that Word is actually closed when you try deleting the file?
  • Hi Adam:

"AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > Word > STARTUP" is the location of "Zotero.dot", which I attempted unsuccessfully to delete. If I close this, I don't know where else I might find it. Otherwise, all MS Word documents are closed.
  • Hi Adam:

I'm at a loss about what to do next. All Word documents are closed, with the exception of Word > STARTUP which contains Zotero.dot. If that's what is stopping me from deleting Zotero.dot, what should I do?
  • You should close word completely and delete it from explorer (the file manager that comes up when you hit windows-e).
  • Hi noksagt:

Thank you for your suggestions.

I close Word, then hit Windows + e. I follow the pathways until I get to Zotero. If I try to delete Zotero by right-clicking, I get the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working Windows is checking for a solution to the problem..." The pathways disappear. Then I have to repeat Windows + e.

If I follow the pathway to Zotero's lowest levels, some of the items delete, but others say "Folder in Use The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program Close the folder or file and try again. Zotero Date created 11/17/2012 3:25 PM"

If I try right-clicking on some of the items in the lowest levels, I get the message "Windows Explorer has stopped working ...."

What do you think I should try next?
  • What else do you need to delete? My understanding was that you were just removing the word plugin and this should be very straight forward. It sounds like you're trying to delete other things and mayhave browsers orother programs to close in addition to word. You can try removing files in safe mode or use a third party utility to see what has a file/folder open or unlock these. But I'd caution you to understand what you're trying to delete and why you aren't able to before blindly charging ahead.
  • Hi noksagt:

Whenever I open the first MS Word document after starting my desktop computer for the day, I get the message, "This document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only?""This document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available. Would you like to open this document read-only?" This does not happen when I use my laptop, which does not have Zotero Standalone installed on it.

Whenever I look in View and Macros in any MS Word document in my desktop computer, I see ZoteroEditBiblography and six other Zotero macros listed.

I would like to completely uninstall Zotero. I have never used Zotero, except once to see if I liked it, which I didn't. Nothing happens when I go into the list of my programs and try to uninstall it. I can't uninstall or delete it even in Safe Mode.

I am unfamiliar with third party utilities that might or might not be able to delete Zotero. I don't want to blindly experiment on my computer, and I would appreciate help from someone who knows what he or she is doing.
  • edited May 14, 2016
    This is usually a 3 second process. The reason you're even facing this problem is that for some reason Word won't remove and Windows won't release the Zotero template. Zotero doesn't do anything other with Word than placing a single template file into its startup folder.
    On a normally working system, you should just be able to delete it both from within Word and using Windows Explorer. If you can't, that's a problem with your system and has very little to do with Zotero per se. We're happy to try to help, but I want to be clear why no one here is much of an expert on this: it's not an issue caused by Zotero; you just happen to experience it with Zotero.

You can try if this solution applies:
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-powerpoint/this-action-cant-be-completed-because-the-file-is/7271eebe-8fcf-450b-bf72-d39872caacff?auth=1

But otherwise, I would recommend a 3rd party tool like unlocker, to remove the file, too.