Firefox only saving to Standalone as a Webpage

So I have Zotero Standalone and the Firefox add on installed. They were working fine until suddenly the Firefox button no longer saves as a citation. When I go to pages with the PDF instead of saving as a journal article, it will only save as a web page.

When I click the Z in the address bar I get this error: "Zotero Standalone was launched but is not accessible. If you experienced an error opening Zotero Standalone, restart Firefox."

I have restarted Firefox, restarted Zotero, opened Firefox first, opened Zotero first, nothing is working and it's really frustrating! I am not tech savvy at all, so any help is appreciated!
  • could you please provide
    1) the version numbers of Zotero both Standalone and the Firefox add-on
    2) an error report ID from Zotero standalone
    https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_a_report_id
  • edited April 13, 2016
    So when I go to the error report in the actions menu it says "No errors have been logged since Zotero started."

As for versions, it looks like the Firefox Add on is 4.0.29.7 (I tried to reinstall the add-in when it stopped working so it's updated through today) and the Standalone is 4.0.29.5.
  • Went back again and now I have the following error:

[JavaScript Error: "1460579794294 Toolkit.Telemetry ERROR TelemetryStorage::loadAbortedSessionPing - error removing ping: PingReadError JS Stack trace: PingReadError@TelemetryStorage.jsm:80:15 < TelemetryStorageImpl.loadPingFile<@TelemetryStorage.jsm:1440:13" {file: "resource://gre/modules/Log.jsm" line: 749}]
  • OK, start by trying if this works with just Firefox. Close down Standalone, make sure it's not running anymore, then try saving directly to Zotero in Firefox. Does that work?
  • Yes, it saves correctly if standalone is closed.
  • OK, start Standalone. Make sure it's still not working properly. Then try this URL in Firefox
    http://127.0.0.1:23119/connector/ping
    Let us know exactly what you see (expected is something like " "Endpoint is not supported by this application")
  • Still not working so when I enter the URL I get a white page that says "Endpoint does not support method"
  • That all seems right.
    Could you get us a debug ID from Standalone (different from an error report) that includes trying to save an item from Firefox?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • I clicked the sheet of paper icon (so it tried to save as a web page) then clicked the Z icon and the error popped up "Zotero Standalone was launched but is not accessible. If you experienced an error opening Zotero Standalone, restart Firefox."

The Debug ID is D288654484
  • jessica -- do you know if you're using 64-bit Firefox?
  • @Dan -- anything in the debug? Do you have any other idea?
  • I'm not sure how to tell if it's 32-bit or 64-bit Firefox. I followed some instructions for how to tell and based on that I have:

"Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0"

According to the instructions I'm reading it should say "Win64;x64" where mine says "WOW64", but the instructions are for an old version. Does this give you the info you need or do I need to look at something different?
  • if you're able to provide an error report ID from the Firefox add-on, that would allow Dan to tell (the above doesn't, I believe -- that's just the Windows version).
  • actually never mind -- WOW64 is the 32 bit version (don't ask). Let's see if Dan has any other idea.
  • Jessica: What is that debug output supposed to show? As far as I can tell, that just shows you saving the Zotero debug output page itself as a webpage item with a snapshot. I assume that's not what you meant to do?
  • (At least, if you want to debug the problem of Zotero not saving items via translators, which it wouldn't on a Zotero documentation page — you'd have to show debug output for a page where you actually expected to get higher-quality metadata. The error when pressing the Z icon would be separate.)