Exporting a complex library from Endnote to Zotero

I am trying to help a professor from my institution to export her library from Endnote to Zotero. The problem is that she has a big and complex library, with groups, attached files (not just pdf, also Word files for instance). I am trying to do it, I have already followed the instructions from this page: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/importing_records_from_endnote, and I have also tried something more sophisticated from this page: www.mariannesarkis.com/endnote/exporting-from-endnote-to-zotero-with-attachments/ but I still can not find the attachments after importing the library into Zotero. I have saved the txt file in the same directory than the attachements, in the Endnote data directory, and in this file, there is the L1 line with the references of the attachment files. So I am a bit at a loss. Is it really possible to migrate an Endnote library with the attached files, or does she have to spend a week-end transferring the attached files manually? Thanks for your comments...
  • generally this works, yes.
    Could you paste one sample RIS entry (i.e. from TY - to ER -) that includes a link to an attachment here?
  • First sample (how it is exported from Endnote):
    TY - JOUR
    AB - The experiences of Nuba women in the Sudan and in exile in Egypt during the Sudanese civil war, which began in the 1980's and ended in 2005, has been marked by pain and sorrow. Their victimization is symptomatic of the attitudes of the ruling Arab Islamist regime in Khartoum to ethnic and cultural minorities and gender relations in a male-dominated society. [S. Lee]
    AU - McFarland, Sherri
    KW - CIVIL war
    SOCIAL attitudes
    SUDAN
    VICTIMS
    WOMEN
    Nuba
    L1 - internal-pdf://2519665001/The_victimization_of_the_Nuba_.PDF
    M1 - 2
    N1 - Accession Number: H800058931.01. Entry Number: 60:18926. Period: 1980's-2006
    PY - 2008
    SN - 87553449
    SP - 21-37
    ST - The Victimization of the Nuba Women of the Sudan
    T2 - Journal of Third World Studies
    TI - The Victimization of the Nuba Women of the Sudan
    UR - http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=hia&AN=H800058931.01&site=ehost-live
    VL - 25
    ID - 6
    ER -

Second version (after modifying the file according to Marianne Sarkis's indication - see link above)
    TY - JOUR
    AB - The experiences of Nuba women in the Sudan and in exile in Egypt during the Sudanese civil war, which began in the 1980's and ended in 2005, has been marked by pain and sorrow. Their victimization is symptomatic of the attitudes of the ruling Arab Islamist regime in Khartoum to ethnic and cultural minorities and gender relations in a male-dominated society. [S. Lee]
    AU - McFarland, Sherri
    KW - CIVIL war
    SOCIAL attitudes
    SUDAN
    VICTIMS
    WOMEN
    Nuba
    L1 - internal-pdf:///c:/users/brendow/Documents/Verschuur.Data/PDF/2519665001/The_victimization_of_the_Nuba_.PDF
    M1 - 2
    N1 - Accession Number: H800058931.01. Entry Number: 60:18926. Period: 1980's-2006
    PY - 2008
    SN - 87553449
    SP - 21-37
    ST - The Victimization of the Nuba Women of the Sudan
    T2 - Journal of Third World Studies
    TI - The Victimization of the Nuba Women of the Sudan
    UR - http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=hia&AN=H800058931.01&site=ehost-live
    VL - 25
    ID - 6
    ER -

In both cases, it does not work...
  • For the second version, L1 should be
    L1 - c:/users/brendow/Documents/Verschuur.Data/PDF/2519665001/The_victimization_of_the_Nuba_.PDF

For the first version -- and you have the RIS file in Verschuur.Data, correct?
  • This is a txt file that I exported using Refman RIS, and yes, it is in the folder Verschuur.Data, subfolder PDF
  • no, not in the subfolder. The RIS file should be in Verschuur.Data, _not_ in Verschuur.Data/PDF
  • After modifying the L1 line according to your indications in the second sample, it seems to work...

(I have to leave now, I will check tomorrow how it works and try to move the folder for the first version)

Thanks!
  • I have tested it today, and it works fine (for both versions). Once again, thanks a lot!
  • TY - JOUR
    AU - You Zhou, Xiaofei Guan, Hua Zhou, Koushik Ramadoss, Suhare Adam, Huajun Liu, Sungsik Lee, Jian Shi, Masaru Tsuchiya, Dillon D. Fong & Shriram Ramanathan
    L1 - D:/papers/sofc.Data/PDF/1958624871/2016-Strongly correlated perovskite fuel cells.pdf
    PY - 2016
    ST - Strongly correlated perovskite fuel cells
    T2 - nature
    TI - Strongly correlated perovskite fuel cells
    ID - 1601
    ER -

and the ris file was placed in the folder D:/papers/sofc.Data,
    it also fail to import pdf from endnote.

win7 standalone 4.0.29.17
  • And you have confirmed the file
    D:/papers/sofc.Data/PDF/1958624871/2016-Strongly correlated perovskite fuel cells.pdf
    exists on your harddrive?

FWIW, the authors won't import correctly the way you have them, but that must already be incorrect in Endnote. Every author should be on its own line starting with AU -
  • thanks!
    yes, it is really on my harddrive and i can open it.
    what should i do to make 'Every author should be on its own line starting with AU -'

the bibliography's templates in ris file as follows
    AD - `Author Address|`
    AN - `Accession Number|`
    AU - `Author|`
    C1 - `Custom 1|`
    C2 - `Custom 2|`
    C3 - `Custom 3|`
    C4 - `Custom 4|`
    C5 - `Custom 5|`
    C6 - `Custom 6|`
    C7 - `Custom 7|`
    C8 - `Custom 8|`
    CA - `Caption|`
    CN - `Call Number|`
    CY - `Place Published|`
  • sorry, I can't help with the Endnote filters, but my guess is that the authors are already entered incorrectly in Endnote.

When you're importing that file into Zotero, what exactly happens? Import completes, but no PDF?
  • yes,no pdf
  • now,the AU is correct, but the problem still exists
    TY - JOUR
    AN - WOS:000367324400073
    AU - Zhu, T. L.
    AU - Yang, Z. B.
    AU - Han, M. F.
    DO - 10.1149/2.0811602jes
    IS - 2
    L1 - D:/papers/sofc.Data/PDF/T. L. Zhu, et al.,J Electrochem Soc,163(2016)F122-F125-F1253891131242/T. L. Zhu, et al.,J Electrochem Soc,163(2016)F122-F125.pdf
    N1 - Times Cited: 0
    Zhu, Tenglong Yang, Zhibin Han, Minfang
    杨, 志宾/B-2311-2015
    杨, 志宾/0000-0003-3845-1133
    PY - 2016
    SN - 0013-4651
    SP - F122-F125
    ST - Metal-Supported Solid Oxide Fuel Cell with La0.4Sr0.6Co0.2Fe0.7Nb0.1O3-delta Cathode
    T2 - Journal of the Electrochemical Society
    TI - Metal-Supported Solid Oxide Fuel Cell with La0.4Sr0.6Co0.2Fe0.7Nb0.1O3-delta Cathode
    UR - ://WOS:000367324400073
    http://jes.ecsdl.org/content/163/2/F122
    VL - 163
    ID - 1623
    ER -