Does not sync to server, resetting does not help

ID 290750974

Zotero has never synced to server, although automatic syncing is enabled.

Next to Syncing button, it says:

Please perform a full sync in the Sync->Reset pane of the Zotero preferences. (Report ID: 1ec006ab)

I have tried resetting from local to server, but it doesn't seem to work. My MAC is so old, I am afraid of loosing all the data soon...

Thanks in advance, C
  • edited March 28, 2016
    Check your database integrity from the Advanced → Files and Folders pane of the Zotero preferences. I think that will fix this for you.
  • Thanks Dan, database integrity is fine - some comment before said it might be a bug. Any Idea how to fix it?
    (I didn't get the method from the other comment)..

CU
  • Can you provide another Report ID?
  • Sure,
  • First, upgrade to the latest version of Zotero — your version is from last October.

If you still have trouble after that, paste "WZC6A9R4" into the Zotero search bar. A book should come up. There should be three creators listed, starting with an editor. Do you see a normal name there, or a blank entry or something else unexpected?
  • edited April 5, 2016
    It seems I have the latest version available for my OS 10.6.8.
    I typed in WZC6A9R4, yes, instead of a name for the editor there is some icon, as if it can't be properly displayed.
    Should I change something there?
  • It seems I have the latest version available for my OS 10.6.8.
    I'm not sure what you mean. The latest version of Zotero for 10.6.8 is the latest version of Zotero, which is 4.0.29.5. You're running 4.0.28.8. Upgrading isn't likely to fix this problem, but we can't provide support for older versions.

If you're still having trouble after upgrading, could you upload your database to the DB Repair Tool and post the Upload ID here? You can ignore the download link the tool provides, which likely won't help.
  • edited April 5, 2016
    instead of a name for the editor there is some icon, as if it can't be properly displayed
    Or a possible quicker fix: if you mean that you're seeing some sort of invalid character symbol in the editor field but you can still edit it then you should click it to edit it, copy the character to the clipboard, and then paste it in the Zotero search bar. It's possible you'll see two items show up — that item and one other. If you simply remove the editor line from both by clicking the minus button next to the row, you may be able to sync (unless you have this problem with other items).
  • Tried the quick fix and it seems to work! It's not finished syncing yet, but I see a progress bar and that's a new thing.
    As for the version, I simply clicked on "check for updates" and there was none. My bad.
    Going to download the latest version now.
    Thanks a lot for you help and for your patience!

Cathrin
  • Report I-D

The same problem has returned now. .
    I updatet to the latest version, also corrected /cleaned up that WZC6A9R4 entry (Which had been the solution before).
    I might have messed something up trying to connect lyx and Zotero, changing the server paths.
    I think I did correct it again, hoewever not sure what the problem is now.

C
  • OK, now it's the same thing for GSEG44H3 and 5DAJQBMQ.

Do you know where these items are coming from? From the data in the error, it doesn't seem like these are necessarily being saved from a website. Are you importing from a file? If we can reproduce this, we'll be able to fix it for good.
  • If you did import from a file, if you don't mind sending the file to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread, we can try to reproduce it from that.
  • New report ID: 2001553484

Okay, I deleted the weird icon from the editor field.
    I'm pretty sure they came from the the two bibtex files I donwloaded here:

http://www.jeffreykwong.com/latex

(Master.bib and Zotero.bib). I imported them into the database, following the tutorial, trying to integrate Zotero into Lyx (or vice versa).

Now, it didn't help - did another reset (To server)
    see report ID at beginning.
    What do I do?
    Thanks!
  • Don't reset — that's not necessary and will cause more problems.

This should now be fixed server-side. Let me know if you still have trouble.
  • Looks like it still doesn't work. .
    new report ID:

:(
  • Any better now?
  • No unfortunately not.
  • Can you provide another Report ID?
  • yes,
  • OK, try again now.
  • Looks like it's fixed! Thank you so much!!