Exporting from DB/TextWorks to import to Zotero

I'm currently trying to export my library from DB/TextWorks and import to Zotero. DB/TextWorks allows me to export in .dmp, .csv, and .xml formats, but Zotero tells me that it can only import .bibtex and .ris files. Is there a secure and cost-free way for me to convert the file so that I can import it to Zotero? I'm trying to avoid having to type in 1000+ entries of bibliographic records as much as possible.
  • edited March 21, 2016
    Zotero can import files in formats other than bibtex and ris.

See: https://www.zotero.org/support/import_formats

The experts may need more information about the structure of the xml files exported by db/textworks. (There are many standard ways that information may be structured in an xml file.) The xml file may be quite useful, or, it may be a proprietary format only useful to Lucidea manufactured software.
  • I admittedly don't know a lot about this sort of thing, but can provide information as requested for in layman's terms.

Thank you for referring me to the support page on compatible import formats. I've tried exporting the library in all 3 formats, .dmp, .csv, and .xml, but when I try importing any of them to Zotero Standalone, it tells me that the file isn't supported.
  • yeah, quite honestly, xml or csv as main export options don't bode well. Zotero is a reference manager, DB/TextWorks a general purpose database. Zotero reads pretty much every bibliographic format that people have come up with (and there are converters for all others), so I'd ask TextWorks support or their user community has done any such transformation for any reference manager and then you'll likely be able to port that to Zotero.
  • edited March 21, 2016
    Please let us know what you learn from tech support. Many years ago my group toyed with the idea of using CuadraStar as a bibliographic database (it was the foundation of the early versions of PubMed). However, they insisted on hosting the db files and they weren't cooperative about allowing exports in any format other than a tagged format similar to Medline tags. Wnen they learned that we planned to convert their tag format to RIS they no longer wanted our business. I followed Cuadra through the time they were acquired by Lucidea. It was my hope that the new management would be more flexible. Lucidea was even less cooperative. Good products but only for those who like closed systems.

edit:
    This was for a public access database of 250,000 bibliographic records. CaudraStar was appealing because of its thesaurus development , index term attachment by rules , and very fast search capability. The big advantage was speed. That advantage was eliminated with the availability of even faster open access db search utilities.
  • Thank you both for the input. I am currently considering whether or not to contact their tech support, because they will likely know right away that I plan to discontinue their service. I would be happy to provide an update if I decide to do so.
  • Can you get me some sample data to work with?