Word 2016 plugin for Mac

I just switched from Word 2011 to Word 2016 and cannot get the plugin to work on my Mac. I am using Zotero 4.0.28.8.

Mac OSX El capitan

Thanks
  • could you specify "cannot get to work"? It doesn't appear or it doesn't work?
  • It does not appear where it used to be in word 2011.Please help
  • Adamsmith: It does not appear. I have no "add-ins" tab on the ribbon.
  • lacroixk, try updating to zotero 4
  • Sahir.aftab: I am using the latest version, zotero 4.0.28.8
  • Sahir -- if you're still having problems, start a new thread, let's keep this one for lacroixk.
    @lacroixk -- can you find the Startup Folder set for Word? I should be in the preferences under advanced (in Word), I believe.
  • Adamsmith: I found the Startup folder set for Word (in preferences -> file locations). There is nothing listed under "locations" next to Startup.

Should I modify this somehow?
  • Yeah, try to set it to
    ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word

where UBF8T346G9 is a random string that will be different on your computer and should already exist. That folder _should_ already exist and may even contain Zotero.dot. If that's the case, then setting the startup folder and restarting Word should be all you need to do.
  • Adamsmith: It worked! I now have the Zotero option in my "Add-ins"

Btw, you were right, It did already contain Zotero.dot

THANK YOU so much!
  • great -- I'll add troubleshooting instructions for this. Could you tell me how exactly you got to the screen where you can set the startup folder? I don't have a Mac, so I cobbled that together from online sources, but want to be as clear as possible for instructions.
  • Here's a step by step:
    1- Open word
    2 - Click on "Word" in bold next to Apple in the Mac applications menu (https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201956)
    3- Select Preferences in the drop-down options
    4- Click on File locations under Personal settings
    5- Click on "Start up" at the bottom of the list
    6- Click "modify'" and select ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word

Hope this helps!
  • perfect. Thanks!
  • I have Word 2016 for mac and the zotero standalone. I'm still having this problem and at a total loss. I have tried to uninstall and re-install different components of zotero standalone, the word add-in and the chrome plug-in with no luck!! Please help!!
  • Have you followed the instructions linked from https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#no_zotero_add-on_visible_in_word_2016
  • I've tried that countless times and still no luck.
  • OK, don't try things more than once, that's just wasting your time.
    So what's the path of the startup folder to which you have set Word for Mac?
  • I believe that it is this: /Applications/Microsoft 365/Office/Startup/Word

I got that in Word by clicking Word --> preferences --> file locations
  • yes, this doesn't appear to work. Try setting the startup folder to
    ~/Library/Group Containers/UBF8T346G9.Office/User Content/Startup/Word
    and place the Zotero.dot there.
    If you can't find the folder, see the instructions at (re: hidden folders): https://www.zotero.org/support/windows_word_plugin_manual_installation_instructions#manually_installing_the_zotero_word_for_mac_2016_plugin
  • I'm trying to follow those instructions but there is no folder called "group containers" in the library.
  • including if you show hidden folders in finder?
  • Hi all,

I am also having issues getting Zotero to work in Word 2016 (Debug ID 1895323452).

I have followed all previously issued instructions (I have moved the Zotero.dot to the Word start up folder) and still cannot get the ribbon to appear... If in word i go to Tools>Macro>Macros... I can see the zotero function names but when I click on any it says it can't communicate with firefox (using stand alone zotero).

Any help much appreciated,

Ben
  • I think I'm missing something re: how to use the Option key to show hidden folders
  • baehunt -- same question. What's the location of your startup folder?

@Katrina -- sorry, someone else needs to help here. I don't have a Mac and I don't know enough about Macs to give good basic instructions.
  • I found it easier to do with the terminal Katrina http://ianlunn.co.uk/articles/quickly-showhide-hidden-files-mac-os-x-mavericks/
  • edited May 11, 2016
    Hi Adam,

Startup at Library/Group Containers/UBF*.Office/User Content/Startup/Word/

Obviously the * being the unique bit...
    Thanks,

Ben
  • probably a dumb question, but you do have Standalone running when you're trying this, yes? And you've restarted your computer for good measure since moving the Zotero.dot?
  • Thanks - I've worked on this and now nothing is hidden. The group containers folder is still not there.
  • Hi Adam,

Not stupid at all but yes and yes!

Ben
  • @Katrina - I also had that issue and it seems there are a few libraries floating around... If you click on the icon with your user name and the little house and then library it may be in there (at least this worked for me)
  • @baehunt - thanks. For some reason, I don't even have a Library folder in there!