Conference location and date import fails from RIS records

I have records in RefWorks for conference presentations/proceedings which have the conference location. Exporting as RIS, the conference location exports in RIS CY, Zotero appears to ignore the CY line. Is there another tag I can use to get the conference location to import into "Place" in Zotero?

Often proceedings are published in a different year than the conference, so published volume might be 2015 for a conference taking place 11-15 November 2014. Both dates are needed for a complete citation. I tried PY for the year and Y1 for the conference date, but PY tag was ignored.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
  • problem is that Zotero simply doesn't have, as of now, two date and two location fields for conferences, so there's simply no place to store those.
  • Thanks, that helps, though it's really a really discouraging answer =(

So, if I did want to use the single place field in Zotero to hold the conference location, how should I tag it in my RIS records to get Zotero to ingest it?
  • edited February 9, 2016
    The publication place is C1. This is used in Zotero for both import and export.

There is no field in Zotero for the conference location. If you have the hidden preference 'extensions.zotero.translators.RIS.import.ignoreUnknown' set to false, CY will be imported as an attached note. This is probably the best solution for now.
  • This doesn't help much with RIS imports but: I include the conference place and date as added text in the conference name field. This requires a bit of editing of the final manuscript but all information is present.

Are their plans for adding these conference information fields to Zotero/CSL?
  • event-place and event-date have been in CSL for ages, so no problem there. On the Zotero side I'd assume so, yes, but same hold-up as with all other field updates. We need the new sync first.
  • So here are some results of testing with the C1 and CY RIS tags. I exported data from Refworks as RIS and then edited tags using find and replace in Word.

CY tags as exported from RefWorks are generally ignored, so
    "CY - Portland, Oregon "
    disappears in Zotero.

However, in one case while editing, I accidently removed the space following the hyphen after CY, and it did import, so:
    CY -Jacksonville, FL
    becomes
    Place: Jacksonville, FL

When I replaced RefWorks CY with C1, the data were is appended to end of the field listed previously in the record:
    PB - IEEE Computer Society <paragraph>
    C1 -Los Alamitos, CA, USA <paragraph>
    becomes
    Publisher: IEEE Computer Society C1 -Los Alamitos, CA, USA
  • And how do I get to hidden preference 'extensions.zotero.translators.RIS.import.ignoreUnknown'
    ?
  • does https://www.zotero.org/support/preferences/hidden_preferences help?
  • However, in one case while editing, I accidently removed the space following the hyphen after CY, and it did import
    Are you sure this is what you did? If the hyphen is removed, it should be imported into the prior field, as in your C1 example. I suspect you actually testedC1 - Jacksonville, FLor tested with a type other than CONF.
    When I replaced RefWorks CY with C1, the data were is appended to end of the field listed previously in the record
    That is because of the missing space.

Here's a minimal example:TY - CONF
    PB - Publisher
    CY - Conference Location
    C1 - Published Location
    ER -
    What should happen when you import this is that "Publisher" will be in the publisher field and "Published Location" will be in the place field. "Conference Location" will not be imported unless you have that hidden setting configured correctly.