I need auto change from webpage style to journal for all my citations

Hello support,

I need your help urgently for my research.
zotero have saved many incomplete citations which shown in the blue icons!
as i have more than 300 citations, is there any way to change the style of web page to journal automatically without inserting them again one by one inside the document?

appreciate your quick reply,
Thanks
Dr. Mona
  • could you give an example? Not sure I follow what you mean by "change the style of web page to journal". It's possible to change citation styles easily, but not to batch-modify the item types of Zotero items.
  • Are you asking if you can batch change the item _type_ from webpage to journal article? The answer is, no. However, even if you could batch change the type, the volume, issue, page range, etc. would be missing. You would need to capture that metadata befote you could cite the articles.
  • Thanks for your fast reply.

When I saved the citations, the item type of all of them has been saved as Web page, which does not include all the required information such as authors, journal, volume, date, and page range...etc. Is it possible to change the item type of these citations to journal article as a patch without going through all of them one by one inside the document and repeat the same process from scratch, as it is time consuming. I don't know how they were saved in this web page stype!! because usually only journal article style is the only style appear after saving!!!

I hope there is a solution for my prolbem, because I am extremely busy and can not go through all of them one by one for modification.

Your fast response is highly appreciated

Best Regards
  • Sorry, there's no way to automate any of that.
    Not sure how the items were all initially saved as webpages. That would likely have been the moment to address this.
  • edited February 10, 2016
    If you double click on each Zotero record you should be taken to the webpage of the item. Once there, if the item is from a publisher or a database, it is a simple click of the Zotero import icon to import the record with metadata. I can attest that this is an almost mindless process and can be easily and quickly done while thinking about something else. If you only get the import icon for importing webpage and you are on the website of a publisher, provide examples of the URLs. Something will need to be adjusted with your computer.
  • Hi there >>

I have another prolbem now.
    How to change the item type form web page to journal article, becasue I need to save the citations as journal articel item type.
    I have a problem that zotero sudently changed saving the citations from being saved as journal article to web page type!!!!

Waiting for your reply ASAP

Thanks
  • where are you saving from (URL)?
  • I did nont get your question. I am using firefox and suddently during my work item style was changed to web page style !!!!
  • sorry I mean item type "not style"
  • Do you mean the item type of an item that's already in your database suddenly changes? That's highly unlikely. Could you maybe step back and provide a bit more detail about what's happening exactly, maybe with a specific example to clarify?

(And please take it easy on the exclamation marks. My hearing is quite well, you don't need to yell to be understood).
  • I am not talking about the already saved ones.

I want to save new references as journal actile type. Whenever I do saving it saves as web page type, how to change the type of saving to be journal article only for the upcoming saving.

I hope it is cleaer now.

Thanks
  • Your fast response is very highly appreciated.
  • Where Zotero doesn't recognize a webpage as a specific item type (journal article, book, etc.) it always saves as a webpage and you can't change that. You'll have to change the item type and add missing information afterwards. If something used to save as a journal article from a given site but doesn't anymore, something may be broken, which is why I asked for a URL