Issues Editing an Existing in-text Citation

I am having issues with citations within a table in a Word document. When I put the cursor in the citation to edit it, it puts another citation within the existing citation. The citations have not had field codes removed and are still linking to the bibliography fine. I have tried removing the citation, adding it, then trying to edit it again with the same trouble. There is 1 of about 20 citations in the table that does work. The field codes appear to be truncated when I view them.
  • Which Word, which OS? Tables and Fields are generally not the most stable thing in Word, but we can see what's possible.
  • I have Word 2013 and Windows 7...
  • works for me in Word 2013.
    You have fields, not bookmarks, selected under Set Document Preferences in the Word add-on, correct?

How about when you try this in a new document? Are you able to work with multiple references in a single table?
  • Yes, I have fields selected in the document preferences.

I tried in a new document and the citations work just fine in a new table. I tried opening up another related document with a table in it and some of the same citations and more of them work than do not work. It is only some of the citations that seem to have an issue. And the same citation in one table cell will work fine, but the cell below will have the issue. In both cells, the single citation is being used and isn't paired with another.

I would just re-enter them in if I could, but even when I delete a citation and re-enter it, it has the same issue.