Information deleted from Zotero Standalone notes

Hello everybody,

I am experiencing some problems with the Zotero Standalone notes recently. In the last days, after I am working for a while on a document making notes on Zotero, the information I have added to the notes disappears all of a sudden and it does not allow me to use the undo button. Any idea about why this is happening and how to fix it? Or even, any idea on how to recover the information I had on those notes?

Best,
  • This shouldn't happen, and I can't reproduce it, but what if you disable file syncing in the Sync pane of the Zotero preferences. You're at your file sync quota, which would cause file syncing to repeatedly fail. That shouldn't affect your notes and, again, it doesn't for me, but it's something to try. (And if you're at your quota anyway, there's no point in leaving file syncing enabled unless you plan to add a storage subscription.)
  • Thanks for your answer. I have disabled file syncing to see whether this was the reason.

Do you know if there is a way of recovering those lost notes?
  • Well, I'm not totally clear what behavior you're seeing. Are you saying multiple notes disappear when this happens, or this has just happened multiple times to different notes? Are you losing just the amount that you've typed in the last few seconds, or are you losing entire notes?
  • (Zotero auto-saves notes after about a second, so even if something reset the note before it saved (which, again, I can't reproduce), you shouldn't lose more than a few seconds of typing.)
  • I have lost multiple notes on different occasions. What happens is that the note becomes blank from one moment to another. So, the note as such stays but it loses all the information that was contained in it.