Strange references in my collection (not mine)

Hello all,

Since I use a shared collection for collaborating on a paper, I experience strange additional references in my collection (some chemical papers we both definitely do not include!)
How can that happen and how to avoid it?

Thanks so much
Anna
  • It shouldn't happen. Double check the members of the group to make sure there are only two of you and make sure that you two aren't using shared computers that another person may have used inadvertently. Also look at the date the resources were created to see if one of you may have missed a translator issue that imported improper references.
  • Thanks so much!
    I know, it's weird.

The settings state:
    Group Type: Private
    Group Library: Only members can view and edit
    Members: 2
  • what do those items say under library catalog?
  • Group Type
    Private

Library Reading
    Any group member

Library Editing
    Any group member

File Editing
    Any group member

Thanks so much!!
  • no, I mean the items that look strange, scroll down in the info pane in Zotero and see what it says in the Library Catalog field.
  • Sorry!

Archiv: blanc
    Location in archive: blanc
    Library Catalogue: PubMed

Is that what you were looking for?
  • yes -- given that, what's almost certainly happening is that you're trying to add items by identifier (ISBN or DOI) and Zotero isn't finding those (or you have spaces inside an identifier) and then interprets them as pubmed IDs and retrieves the corresponding articles. Does that sound like it could have happened?
  • Hi Adam!
    Actually not, within the last days we haven't touched the library at all and didn't work on the paper
  • But what is the creation date on those items? Is it possible they were old and you didn't notice? The library should also list which user added the item.
  • It doesn't state who inserted the references, unfortunately...
    But they were all added within a short time frame of an hour.
    I deleted them now and hope it won't happen again.
    Thanks so much!
  • The online library includes an 'added by' field. See, e.g. my username at the top of
    https://www.zotero.org/groups/nerd_nite_east_bay/items/collectionKey/9RKFM72R/itemKey/WCD3HM2B

But I think we've identified the most likely software errors (particularly brown translators that go unnoticed) and user mistakes (e.g. accidentally allowing access to your account on a shared system or not noticing what reference may have been added particularly when using add by identifier) in this thread.