cannot view PDF on zotero.org

I am trying to troubleshoot my library. The problem started when trying to get PDFs from Zotero to be readable on my iPad. I tried several solutions (ZotPad, Papership) and none could get the PDFs--finally got an error message that 'linked' files could not be viewed. Aha, I store all my data files in a Dropbox folder on my laptop. Moved the zotero folder out of there, checked all permissions are OK, and tried again, and again, and again. So then I thought I'd go to web version. All my PDFs are listed but they have a 'locked' icon next to them, and I cannot double click or any other way look at them. Not sure the two problems are related but it sure is hard to troubleshoot.

What's going on?
  • you have files linked rather than attached. They're not available through zotero.org
    Are you using ZotFile or anything else to create links? By default, Zotero would attach (not link) files.
  • I finally figured that out. Now i have nuked by entire library and will try to recreate it. If I leave Use Profile Directory checked and the link attachments box unchecked, when I import a pdf into zotero it should store a copy of the file, correct?
  • correct, yes.