Problems in adding zotero/libreoffice plug in

I have tried several times to install the plug in for zotero/libreoffice integration. The icons in libreoffice appear but they are non responsive. When I try to reinstall the extension software, it comes to a halt and I have to force quit libreoffice in order for it to start working again. Any tips would be helpful.
  • For information, I am following this process to move document from Scrivener to Zotero/Libreoffice to word. https://danielvreeman.com/using-scrivener-for-writing-scientific-papers/

I fail at the last step of building the bibliography.
  • If you're on a Mac, try installing the legacy 32bit 6 Java run time environment and then select it under Preferences advanced in LibreOffice.

On Windows, also check the JRE version, though I think you'll want the most recent 64bit one there.
  • I have tried to instal Java 6 runtime environment but El Capitan operating system on a Mac does not support 32bit software. Will this cause a problem? If not, how do I get round this?
  • I have managed to get JRE 6 installed. But the plug in is still not working.
  • The plug in seems to be communicating now as both Zotero and Libre Office are both showing the connection is there. But when I click to produce the bibliography, the choice of styles comes up but after that Libre Office just freezes. Any help with this?
  • not a lot of ideas, no. Which LO version? Have you tried restarting, just to be sure?
  • It is version 5.0.4.2. And yes, I have tried restarting.
  • and that's in a fresh document regardless of citation style chosen, right?

I don't think I have any more ideas. Certainly possible it's a LO issue, so you can try what type of info they'd want for troubleshooting. (Yes it comes up with Zotero integration, but it shouldn't just freeze).
  • Yes, fresh document, and I tried with different citation styles - all same outcome.

Mmmm
  • I found the root of the issue and why LibreOffice froze. I had a list of references in the text which Zotero didn't like e.g. Thrift 1996, Thrift 1997, Thrift 2000. And it froze at this point. When I removed the multiple references and left only one e.g. Thrift 2000, the bibliography compiled immediately. A good conclusion but problematic still; I need those references.

Is there a work around solution for multiple references from the same author?
  • It might just have been a corrupted reference but I'm rather confused: above you said LO froze right after you selected a citation style and then that this also happened in a new document -- so that wasn't the case?
  • The document is created in Scrivener and exported into a .odt file, and the REF process converted the citations. Opened the document in Libre Office and click 'create bibliography', the style box opens and I select the style I prefer. After that, the document freezes showing the three references I mentioned above. I can't close the document or close the Libre Office - I have to force quit.
  • I have been playing around with this again. I can see that sometimes the citation link can become corrupted, so when I refresh the citation, the problem sorts itself out. Now the software is working as it should.
  • cool. If you find something that reliably produces a broken citation in Libre Office between Scrivener and the ODF-Scanned documents we (as in the developers of the ODF scanner) would be interested in that.
  • I suspect that I had a duplication of the Thrift reference and I deleted one in Zotero, obviously the wrong one. While the correct reference was placed, the document couldn't compile the bibliography and the document froze. That is the only thing I can think of right now.
  • Hi there, I'm having similar problems to chereme (at the beginning). I'm on Mac OSX 10.11.3 El Capitan, latest version of Zotero 4.0.28.8 and LibreOffice 5.0.1.3.

I had Zotero working fine on Open Office but decided to switch to LibreOffice due to an annoying bug, and other reasons.

Now when trying to install the Zotero LibreOffice Integration Add-on in Zotero stand-alone, I only get errors and LibreOffice goes into overdrive trying to install and I have to force quit it. In LibreOffice Extension Manager it appears the Zotero extension is there but not working, when I try to click resume installation it also just crashes.

I have Java Runtime legacy 6 installed and have tried all sorts of various restarts.

Anyone ideas?
  • Do you have this installed?
    https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1572?locale=en_GB
  • Yes I have it installed.

And similar to you at the beginning, I had the toolbar appearing but nothing happened when I tried to use it...
  • Have you got the latest JRE installed as well?
  • I have Java 8 Update 66 build 17 installed
  • Well, for me, that sorted out the zotero and LO communication. Maybe a fresh restart would help. After that, check the citation links so they remain correct (cmd c and cmd v links if you have to). And it should respond.
  • No luck for me so far. Thanks for your replies
  • I have tried to install the plug in for zotero/libreoffice integration in Firefox, too. The add on is blocked by the Firefox as as not authorized!
  • that's definitely not the case generally. The current version of all Zotero add-ons is signed. You do get a separate warning before installing and need to allow that, which makes a lot of sense. What's the exact message you're getting?
  • Well some reboots later I could install the add on.
    But now I run back into the problems I had before:.
    BTW: I would like to add bitmaps rather than write whole the messages I get! (well some errors can get copied and pasted as here)

So the reason for installing the add on _again_ was that it had disappeared in Libre Office (now 5.0.4). I did uninstall.

So first
    Opening the preferences of the add on I press the button to install 7 reinstall "Libre Office/Add-in".
    Here was an error to ensure Libre Office is closed. It WAS closed. In the Activity Monitor ther is no Libre Office!
    Reopening Firefox does not help.

So I tried to install manually by double click. Libre Office starts. Opening the text writer does not show anything about Zotero again.
    Trying to add by the extension manager ends in an fatal error:
    LibreOffice 5.0 - Fatal Error
    [context="user"] caught unexpected com.sun.star.deployment.DeploymentException: Extension Manager: failed to read data entry in configuration backend db: file:///Users/Winkelmann/Library/Application%20Support/LibreOffice/4/user/uno_packages/cache/registry/com.sun.star.comp.deployment.configuration.PackageRegistryBackend/backenddb.xml
    and LO crashes.

I should add that I could not install the Language Pack for German (I noted the bug n the LO forum already) and so I have to use the English version.
    So the use of Libre Office gets more and more strange to me...

And:
    Now after this action I get the error in Firefox (translated): "Zotero LibreOffice Integration could not get verified for use in Firefox and got unactivated". So I have to delete again.
  • you can post screenshots to any free image hosting site (imgur, dropbox, mycloud) and link to them from here.

This really sounds like an issue on the LibreOffice side, with something preventing proper file access (the close LibreOffice message typically indicates a locked file). Especially if other add-on installations (like the language pack) are failing, you'll want to figure that out first and I don't have much advice. I assume youve tried a re-install of LibreOffice -- that'd be my only idea and it's not very sophisticated...

You still shouldn't be getting the unverified error message, though. You're downloading the add-on from https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation#libreoffice ? And which Firefox version?
  • >post of screenshots by other hosting site
    I know but to much work on it...

I reinstalled Libre Office several times. But I gave it a last try just the moment. No success...

Tht's the same link as I use.
    My download link is this one:
    https://download.zotero.org/integration/Zotero-LibreOffice-Plugin-3.5.11.xpi
    Coming through main page -> Download -> https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_installation

My Firefox version is 44.0.2 on OSX 10.9.5...
  • I have the same problem with OS X (EL Capitan). I have installed https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1572?locale=de_DE but in LibreOffice Options -> Advanced -> there is not JRE. Which folder I have to choose to set the JRE manually?
    When I will install the Extension in LibreOffice, LO freeze and I have to stop LO.

Is there no solution? :(
  • Here is the solution:
    You must install the JDK - NOT! the JRE!

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html

Now the installation of Zotero-Plugin works!