Incomplete Export

Hello all,

I would like to export my libary from Zotero as CSV (Western encoding) with notes, but there are missing some titles and or authors.

For example:
journalArticle 2008 Herz, Stefan ...missing title
journalArticle 2012 Eckert, Kai-Helmut ...missing title
journalArticle 2013 von Brauk, Stefan Zurückeroberung der Zukunft—Chancen agiler IT
book 2015 missing author ....
Advanced Information Systems Engineering Workshops
book 2013 missing author ....Advances in Enterprise Engineering VII
book 2012 missing author ....
Analyse und Gestaltung leistungsfähiger IS-Architekturen
book 2016 Kröschel, Ivonne Architekturbasiertes IT-Alignment
book 2015 missing author ....Business Information Systems

Zotero has got all these informations in the program.
Can you help me with that challenge?

Thanks in advance,
Chrissi
  • have you looked at this in a text editor or just in the spreadsheet? Asking because I'm wondering whether the problem is just misaligned separators/columns.

Do you get that info in other export formats (like bibtex)?
  • No, no. I opened the .cvs with excel and i separated the data with comma. The export ist more clear then.

I exported the libary to bibtex and the data is complete. So with bibtex its working.
  • OK, but did you also check the .csv file in a text editor? -- I'm wondering whether this actually gets lost during Zotero export (which would be very odd) or during Excel import.
  • No, right now.

The textfile is also working.. Crazy.
  • sorry, don't understand -- does that mean problem is solved?
  • edited January 14, 2016
    For what it is worth: Depending upon the amount of _available_ RAM in a Windows or Mac machine if a csv has more than about 6000 records, many comma seperated fields, especially when some of the fields contain lengthy text; Excel doesn't properly complete the import. Nor does LibreOffice Calc.

Real world example: SafetyLit users can download a csv file of all 16000 journals with articles indexed in the database. Full information about the publisher, publication history, and other items is included. After we exceeded about 6000 records, a few years ago; we began receiving complaints about the csv file not importing properly into Excel or Calc. We found that we needed an option to export multiple individual files, each with no more than 5000 records for everyone to import the files without problems. While some can import the full 16000+ record csv file; most need to download separate files and stitch them together into one spreadsheet. The spreadsheet format file gives no problem. It is the csv import/conversion process that leads to missing and jumbled data.
  • Thanks for your answer.
    Which export type do i have to choose, because there is no spreadsheet available.

I don't need 16000 journals and it would be awkward to search for the articles. I would loose a lot of time, if I would work like this.

So, there is no possibility to export the libaries to excel?
  • no, csv is right for excel, it just doesn't seem to work correctly. So can I summarize:
    When you export the items above to .csv, the missing data _does_ appear in the file when you open it in a text editor like notepad, but not when you import it into Excel, correct? Could you export just one of those items to .csv and post what you get in the text editor to gist.github.com-->create secret gist --> post the URL here?