DOI as a note

This is a pretty specific problem. I'm currently working on a journal submission to the journal of biomedical optics. They provide a nice latex template here (https://www.overleaf.com/latex/templates/spie-journal-article-latex-template/vdydzwfvfvqg)

In their template, they ask that we provide DOIs to all papers in the form of note = "[doi:10.1117/12.154577]"
in our .bib files so that when they are cited, the doi appears after the article.

Is there anyway to get zotero to export bibtex files such that this is implemented?

Thanks
  • you can customize Zotero's bibtex export, which is just a javascript file -- Bibtex.js -- in the translators folder in the Zotero data directory. No easier option than that, though.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
  • There are two other options outside of changing Zotero's translators. Modifying BibTeX to fit eccentricities of different publishers isn't uncommon, regardless of what you use for your reference manager:
    • Change the BibTeX after Zotero exports it. This is a fairly trivial regex find/replace.
    • Edit spiejour.bst to use the doi field present in Zotero (and others) export.
    I tend to do the fist if it is a one-off. I tend to do the second if I know I'll resubmit and may host a new version of their style file if the fix is an extreme one so that others can benefit.

If you do the latter, you'd need to submit your revised bst or (which I tend to do) submit either a .tex field that includes the bib inline or the bbl without submitting your bib database.
  • Sadly I don't think I am comfortable enough with either javascript or the way .bst's are written to go messing around with them. I mean if anybody has a ridiculous amount of free time and wants to show me exactly what to do that would be great but of course I don't expect that from any of you guys.

Thanks for the help though! For now I think I'll just do it manually =/
  • how about noksagt's first option then:
    Change the BibTeX after Zotero exports it. This is a fairly trivial regex find/replace.

This would seem pretty easy and require very little technical knowledge (and to the extent that it requires you to pickup some regex on the way, that'll pay for itself handily along the way)