Safari connector only works when Zoetero app is open

I get an translator error whenever I use Zotero's Safari connector without also having the stand-alone app open — and not just on sites with known translator issues.

I've deleted and reinstalled the connector, but it didn't help.

I'm guess my settings need to be adjusted. Maybe someone could help me troubleshoot my settings.

Potentially relevant details:
- Macbook Air, OS X 10.11.1
- Safari Version 9.0.1 (11601.2.7.2)
- Zotero Connector 4.0.28
- I use OneDrive for data directory because I cannot fit my Zotero library in Zotero's free space
  • My guess would be that you're not authenticated to the Zotero server. Check in the Safari Connector preferences (right-click anywhere --> Zotero preferences). It's possible that's currently broken (I have 2 other people reporting issues with authentication under Safari).
    That said, why do you _want_ to use Zotero in Safari with Standalone closed? Even if it's working, it will always perform worse than with Standalone open.
    I use OneDrive for data directory because I cannot fit my Zotero library in Zotero's free space
    that's a reliable way to break Zotero in the medium run. There are various safe ways of syncing your files without using Zotero Storage (webDAV, using linked files), but placing your data directory into a syncing folder is a terrible idea.
  • Update:
    - I changed my data directory to webDAV. Problem persists.
    - I tried authenticating as directed. It didn't work. Report ID:378522600

Thanks
  • So authentication fails? That seems to be a persistent error then.

It's not super high priority because, again, ability of the connectors to directly communicate with the servers is secondary functionality. They're principally meant to work with Standalone.

Still should get fixed, obviously.
  • For the record, I can't authenticate either:

[JavaScript Error: "SyntaxError: DOM Exception 12" {file: "safari-extension://org.zotero.zoteroconnectorforsafari-69X6C999F9/9e1b6d63/http.js" line: 115}]

[JavaScript Error: "OAuth request failed with 0; response was "]

Mavericks, Safari 9.0.1.
  • Same issue. Report ID:906109142
  • edited September 27, 2016
    This seems to have been fixed: I can now add items to Zotero in Safari when Zotero is not open.

Things that have changed on my end since posting this:
    - OS update: I'm now running macOS 10.12
    - Safari update: I'm now running Safari 10.0

Things that have not changed
    - Zotero connector/extension/plugin: 4.0.28
  • Yeah, it just worked for me too on ElCap with the Safari 10. I was asked to approve a new application key to authenticate the connector.

I did save the attachment to the on-line database, which I don't sync with, so Zotero Standalone reports an error when you try to view it. (This is really annoying, btw.)
  • I don't see what else Zotero could do than to tell you the attachment isn't there when you try to open it?
  • Actually Standalone tells you the file isn't there when you right-click to "show the file", which is good. Otherwise, e.g., you hit the space bar to activate the quick look, it doesn't do anything and you have to check to see what's happened.

WRT saving the file, I guess I would find two things better. When standalone isn't open:

1. Don't save anything when the account isn't using the Zotero-provided file space.
    2. Save the file locally in the correct place.

I guess maybe even saving the file locally in the downloads folder so the user can manually add it later would be better than the current situation.

Of course I don't know if the connector knows the user's default file space.
  • The fact that quicklook doesn't throw an error is a quicklook problem (remember that's an add-on, not a Zotero function).
    Opening the file from Zotero will also throw an error.

I'm afraid different options for whether users are using Zotero file storage or not are likely going to be too complex; doubt that will happen.
  • I think I've commented on this in another thread too, but some way to check on the presence of stored files would help with maintenance.
  • You mean for Zotero or for you? You realize that the attachment column shows which attachments are present locally by the full vs. empty dot (and is sortable), right?
  • No, I did not know that. I don't normally show the attachments column since you can tell by the arrow where there is anything there (which might be a note, of course) and there's not a lot of room.

Maybe I will now.