quotes around journal or magazine article title

I'm using APA 6th. My instructor requires journal and magazine articles quoted.How can I achieve this with Zotero?
Regards,
mtcstle
  • edited November 23, 2015
    Just to be clear -- Are you asking about the title of the journal itself or the title of the article?

Neither of those choices exactly meet APA standards. Are single (') or double (") quotes required?
    set quotes="true" on the title i.e.g change
    <else>
    <text variable="title"/>
    </else>

to
    <else>
    <text variable="title" quotes="true"/>
    </else>

edit: (I'm assuming here you know how to make basic CSL edits, I hope I'm remembering correctly that you are. And DWL is correct, of course, that this isn't in line with what APA wants, so you could also look for a different citation style that meets your needs since you're not following APA anyway. Chicago author-date e.g. does put article titles in quotations out of the box.)
  • I did a search by example query by adding double quotes around the article title, received many hits (most were APA variants) but only one (Human Resource Management Journal) had quotes (single) around the title. I expected to find Chicago styles but none of them were on the list. I don't know what I did wrong with my search example. This was the first time I used the search-by-example utility.
  • I began with APA 6th as it looked pretty close to what my instructor required. Perhaps I'd be better served by Chicago author-date. I'll ave a look at it. As you may remember, I've already changed three or four characteristics of APA 6th and I've now got a style that is awfully close to that required, save the quotes. What identifies the section specifying article titles as opposed to book or journal titles?
    Regards,
    mtcstle
  • journal titles are container-title, so they would never be affected.

Book titles are excluded because they are tested for and put in italics a couple of lines before the bit I tell you to change, so they wouldn't be affected because of that (that's what the else means: if it's none of the above, then do...)
  • See also, Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, and Emerald journals (Harvard) for ideas. I misunderstood what you said about your professor's style. I thought s/he requested APA but with the quotes and not some other hybrid style. I read your request out of its historic context.
  • I found it Adam. Thanks. And you too DWL. You're comments were enlightening. I'm beginning to understand how it works. Is there a book on CSL? Thanks again.
    Regards,
    mtcstle
    No book as such but the full specifications are here:
    http://docs.citationstyles.org/en/stable/specification.html
    and a 90min webinar I recently gave on CSL is here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpfF7DpFfhw (German)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dUwAKVmCq0 (English)
  • Great Adam, I'll be sure and watch your webinar. I've noticed just one more thing I might change. APA has a period following each element of the bibliographic entry. Could I get rid of those as easily as the other mods you've helped with?
    Regards,
    mtcstle
  • Adam, I think I found it. Near the bottom of the file a specification around "group" I found a delimiter, ". " and deleted the ".". It seems to have given me what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for all your help. I viewed your webinar too. Very nice. thanks. One point was not clear. how to enter examples into the search panel to find prospective styles. I tried it and did not have any luck.
    Regards,
    mtcstle
  • I assume you found the "search by example" screen. There, the most common mistake is that people just use any example citation -- but you need to use the items shown on the left and format them in the citation style you want.
  • You're right, that's exactly what I did. Thanks for the tip.
    Cheers,
    mtcstle
  • Just because I couldn't resist, I experimented with the editor.citaionstyles.org visual editor search by example. Sure enough APA 6th and APA 6th single spaced were the top two picks at perfect for citation and 90 % for bibliography. Thanks an awful lot, both of you, for your help and enlightenment. When I was last at university, over twenty yeas ago, I abhorred bibliography. Having done them by hand, in the 70s and 90s, I can say with confidence that this is little short of magical. I'm very impressed with the work that has gone into it and with the community.
    Best regards,
    mtcstle