i cant use zotero citation function

when ever i try use add citation function it give me this message
(Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Could not find a running Word instance. [getDocument:document.cpp:135]'Could not find a running Word instance. [getDocument:document.cpp:135]' when calling method: [zoteroIntegrationApplication::getDocument]

and i tried re-installing Word for Windows Plugin 3.5.2 but it still not working , so any advice
my report ID:18818338
  • I also have this issue but only in old documents, if I open a new word file it works just fine. Win 8.1 and latest zotero.
  • edited February 19, 2016
    I have to run both zotero SA and firefox in admin mode to make it work in older documents.
  • I know this is old, but could help someone save time. The solution from @xxtraloud works for me in Win7 running Zotero SA in admin (I don't use firefox plugin).

I'm running Win7 Enterprise SP1, Word 2010 Professional Plus v14.07182.5000, Zotero SA 4.0.29.17 (latest as of this date). And always using fields in the settings (instead of bookmarks).

----------if you're curious as to what I've tried----------
    *With a new document, I can add Zotero references in Zotero SA non-admin. But when I save, close document, and reopen, it gives me the same error unless running Zotero in admin.

*Opening new blank document, then opening old document, copy pasting all content from old document and saving to a new document. unsaved new document works with Zotero non-admin. But once saved and reopening, gives same error.

*If I create blank document from old document, it doesn't open new instance of Word so gives me same error. I have to open new instance of Word for Zotero to work in non-admin mode again. But the same problem occurs once I save the document and reopen.

*I have tried "Debugging broken documents" and "Communication error or non-responsive plugin buttons" listed in the word processor plugin support (adamsmith linked it above) but none worked

*I have tried saving the old document while running Zotero in admin mode but it still doesn't work with normal run of Zotero.

*Reinstalling Zotero, word plugin, restarting didn't solve this

*I haven't tried reinstalling Word because I can't find my install disc anymore

*Only happens on my home desktop and not work desktop or laptop so it could be a specific software that I am using (or Word install as above). I've tried disabling all antiviruses/firewalls protection but this doesn't seem to solve this issue. Similarly, I've tried closing every application that I can except Zotero and Word but this doesn't solve it either.