Adding citation clear all track changes in my word document

My advisor always uses track changes in MS Word (2010) to correct my writing. It has worked so well until last week that I noticed something weird happened. I could no longer add new citation because whenever I did so, all other comments of my advisor (in track changes) disappeared. I tried with both Word on PC (2010) and Mac (2011) and the problem was not solved. Any recommendation? Many thanks.
  • it's a known bug that'll hopefully be fixed soon, but it's also just the display of the comments, not the actual comments that vanish, you can show them again by changing the setting back to all markup in the review tab of Word.
  • Hey,
    Another curious thing I've noticed that the "View Comments" button is grayed out, once you insert a citation. So, what I have to do is save my doc, and re-open it. Of course this becomes a major hassle while editing my dissertation! :) I began having two docs open at the same time, one for tracking changes and the other for actual editing. :( I'll be glad once it is fixed.
  • edited November 13, 2015
    Thank you for your answers. Until the bug gets fixed, I guess I have to follow mdcasa's way. I am also writing up my thesis. Cheers.
  • mdcasa and khonghiep, you shouldn't have to close the document to be able to enable comments. All you need to do is choose 'simple markup' or 'all markup' from the dropdown list in the Review tab of the Word ribbon. You'll need to do that after inserting each citation, as the Zotero bug is switching 'all markup' to 'no markup' (this is the reason the 'show comments' button is greyed out).

Let's hope this bug get fixed soon!
  • very frustating bug
  • edited February 8, 2016
    I've got the bug too. However, I go back to the track changesin word and re-select the "final - showing markup option" because it defaults back to show "final" option. After selecting this option, old track changes and comments reappear. Frustrating though as everytime I add a citation tracked changes resets to the "final" and old stuff vanishes.