Zotero for Firefox stopped working

Since I upgraded Firefox (on Windows 7) to 42.0, I can't start Zotero for Firefox. When I go to the Extensions prefs in Firefox, it simply says that "Zotero could not be verified for use in Firefox".
Is there a workaround for this?
Steve
  • are you positive you're using Firefox 42? Zotero will not work on the current beta, but the lack of verification does not prevent Zotero from workin in the current Firefox release (42).

If Zotero doesn't work for you on Firefox 42, we'd need more details (what happens when you try to start it etc.)
  • Hi Adam,
    I am definitely using Firefox v42.0 (according to the 'About' screen).
    When I say I can't start Zotero for Firefox: the usual keyboard shortcut (Ctr-Alt-z) does nothing, and the plugin is no longer listed in the menu, so I physically can't start it.
    Steve
  • edited November 9, 2015
    OK. And is it listed as disabled under about:addons (it'd be greyed out)?
    If so, can you enable it there?

If not, can you click on Preferences there? What happens?

edit: and which Zotero version? Click on "More" next to the Zotero entry in the addons tab.
  • Now this is really odd - I just highlighted Zotero (I'm using v4.0.28.7) in the Firefox menu -> Add-ons -> Extensions ... and it is now working fine!
    I can only assume it must have been disabled but it was not greyed out earlier. In any event, it is now working OK.
    Thanks for the help, anyway!
  • Hi,
    I have a similar problem. Zotero (4.0.28.7) stopped recognizing jstor and google books (I did not check anything else, but I supposed it will not work either), and I cannot download neither pdf nor metadata (the little icon is up there but is gray and do nothing when you click it).
    I am using Firefox 42.0 (I just downloaded and re-installed the most recent versions of both Zotero and Firefox) on a mac (Yosemite 10.10.5)

Looking at the adds-on page, it says that "Zotero could not be verified for use in Firefox. Proceed with caution", and is highlited with sort of yellowish and orange strips (not grey), which seems to mean that is still there. I even tried to disable and enable again, as well as remove it and re-install it from the website, just in case.

Not sure what to do next.
  • Run through these, please:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/troubleshooting_translator_issues
    if 1-10 don't help, please read closely and provide all the information requested under 11.
  • Solution: Had same problem as above--couldn't get Zotero to work in a word doc anymore. Wasted an hour searching for a fix, updating, unistalling add-nns for Firefox 42 (which both say Zotero could not be verified..."). Finally checked my Zotero standalone add-ons manager/extensions and found that the Zotero Word for Windows extension was no longer there. Don't know what had happened to it but reinstalled it and presto--everything worked again.
  • This has just happened to me on a Mac. The Firefox auto upgrade (or refresh as Mozilla call it) to version 42 completely removes the Zotero extension - it's not listed in the Add-ons menu. It also does not tell you - even if the 'warn me if this will disable any of my add-ons' option is ticked.

I was eventually able to retrieve my research library by re-installing Zotero for Firefox from the download site and then telling Firefox to allow the install even though the Zotero add-on 'cannot be verified'. Firefox 42 is VERY keen to not run Zotero and flags it as problematic in the add-ons list.

You then have to put your Zotero name and password in the Zotero plugin preferences (all Zotero data has been removed as well) - and you may have to OK a couple of synch queries if you have deleted the quick start guide etc. After that, it's just a matter of waiting while all the data is downloaded from the Zotero cloud...
  • edited December 5, 2015
    ianwillcock: If you reset Firefox, it removes your extensions and moves much of your data:

https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/restore_after_firefox_reset

The warning about Zotero being unverified is unrelated, and it will go away by December 15th.
  • edited December 5, 2015
    Yes, I understand that, but I didn't reset Firefox - this happened as part of the auto-update process...

Good to know the verification issue is in hand...

And good instructions - thanks for the link.