Zotero hangs then crashes (along with Office 2016)

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to finish a book by the weekend, and I'm converting hundreds of footnotes from EndNote. I use Mac Office 2016 (Yosemite 10.10.2). If I try to insert or modify a citation, Zotero hangs, then Word hangs, then I have to force quit. This has probably happened about 25-30 times today. It's pissing me off and wasting my time.
I've only received 2 errors messages from Zotero: Zotero Integration Error, Zotero experienced an error updating your document, this operation couldn't be completed: (OSS Status Error ~609 @ getDocument : application.m:81.) The other error was Document modified during update (I didn't do anything at all because the program was frozen, mind you) @setCode field m: 585.
Thanks
  • So how reproducible is this? It happens every time or it happens frequently but not always?

And could you do a quick check in a new document with just a couple of citations? Any problems there?
  • Hi Adam,
    So, here's what's happening so far. It seems the smaller the document, the less frequently it happens. I just opened my full manuscript (280 pages, about 400 citations), and I went to insert a new citation, and zotero hung, but didn't crash Word. Oddly enough, I do not get error messages most of the time. I'm currently working with a short paper (12 pages), so I'll write again if I have problems.
  • And it just hung again and when I quit zotero to keep it from crashing Word, I got this message:
    Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Database permanently closed; not re-opening

This is so aggravating...my book is due today. I've had my system crash about 45-50 times since Tuesday...on both of my MacBooks.
  • so a somewhat slow experience with Zotero in long documents is currently expected -- and that includes hangs. At least for Word 2004/2011, Word for Mac was particularly slow. Not sure if the 2016 version improved that.

The last error you reported is just describing what's going on:
    Zotero is getting data from its database (that's the hang--because it's slow in long docs)
    and then when you (force)quit Zotero, the database isn't available anymore so it correctly observes:
    "Database permanently closed; not re-opening"
  • I re-open Zotero every time I have to force quit and I've still received that message.
    My book is now two days late as a result and I just lost an hour of work thanks to six hangs/crashes.
  • If you force quit it, things will break. adamsmith is say that in a large document in Word for Mac you may have to let it go for a while. It's not clear from your posts so far how long you're waiting.
  • I have the same problem with my thesis (700 pages, 3000 citations). I'm in a desperate situation. If anyone could help me.
  • Same question -- how long are you waiting, what exactly is happening?
    In a document of this size, 30mins wouldn't be surprising.
  • I have tried several times all day, but nothing happens (except error messages after a long wait between 5 or 10 minutes).
  • OK, and what do the error messages say exactly?
  • edited July 27, 2016
    I have this message "Database permanently closed; not re-opening" :/
  • Presumably you've tried restarting your computer?
    And just to be clear: you click insert bibliography, you don't do anything, you don't cancel anything nor get any other error messages on your computer and then after 5-10mins that error message appears?
  • Yes, it's exactly that. Of course, I have tried to restart my computer without results. The most strange is that it still works with small folder.
  • Hello! I am in a similar boat. I'm trying to generate a bibliography for 150 pages (600 footnotes). {Citation} appears but then nothing happens. By the time my thesis is done it will be circa 500 pages, so I need to be able to generate a single bibliography for all that material.

What is a reasonable amount of time to wait for the bibliography to appear?

Thanks for your help!
  • I have another error message who appears :
    "The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[selectField:field.m:322]"

And always this one :
    "Database permanently close; not re-opening"

Any idea ?
  • (@Dan et al. -- I don't have the expertise to troubleshoot these; you'll need to get Simon or someone else who can actually look at what's going on to check this out)