Can't save download directly to Zotero

Hi
I would value some help with this.

When I download a document and click on Save to Zotero I get a pop up that says 'an error occurred while saving this link'.

I have been into preferences and updated the PDF indexing which should have fixed this but it didn't.

Thanks for reading!
  • can you add PDFs to Zotero otherwise? And have you tried this for multiple sites or just one?
  • My Zotero is on Firefox. I have tried several PDFs and it's the same. I can download to the computer but not Z. I can create a link to the page but the info is limited and won't make a proper Harvard reference later.
  • Hmm -- that doesn't really answer either of my questions, so let me restate:
    1. Can you add a PDF to Zotero by other means than the "Save to Zotero" option in the download dialog, e.g. by dragging it from your computer to Zotero?

2. I realize you have tried this with multiple PDFs, but have you tried this with PDFs from entirely different websites?
  • Yes I can drag it. Yes I have tried the more direct method with different websites.

I was just wanting to download it directly.
  • OK, good, could you provide a debug ID that covers a failed attempt to download a PDF into Zotero?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • D1814893509
  • (3)(+0000003): Importing attachment from URL zotero://attachment/577/
    You seem to be trying to save an attachment that's already in Zotero back into Zotero.

Can you step back and explain the exact steps you're taking here?

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • (Or, if the steps you took when producing that Debug ID aren't representative of the problem you were reporting above, please try again with a new Debug ID.)
  • Thank you for your help. I am not computer savvy enough to answer all your questions.
  • this isn't about computer savvy: the most helpful thing you can do is to explain to us exactly, step by step, as if you were to explain it someone who knows less about computers than you do, what you're doing.