ITEMS DUPLICATING EVERYTIME I EXPORT

Good morning.
I started using Zotero recently in order to convert the library of my supervisor from Procite.
The items entered in Procite weren't always correctly done and I had to integrate many info manually from the .txt file.
After working since a few weeks is reviewing the entries, I noticed that Zotero has duplicated any item that I integrated.
When I merge any of them which has attached notes, the item becomes one, but the notes duplicate instead of merging.
I exported the catalog twice, hoping that this would clean up the many versions of the same entry that were generated at each update.
Instead, the situation got worse.
Now, the items displayed are TRIPLED and those that I merged before have sometimes the same note repeated for 5 times.
Evidently, the problem cannot be solved manually.
I made a virus scan and I have no bugs.
I updated Zotero and emptied the trash.
I wonder if there might be any dysfunction due to the fact that I use Windows 10.
How to fix the trouble?
Thank you
  • Export/import or importing the same RIS file twice will indeed duplicate items. Zotero has no way of knowing those are the same.
    Merging items will currently preserve any attached files and notes to prevent data loss. If you want to just remove duplicate, you can also just delete one of them.
  • Thanks Adamsmith.
    The weird thing is that before re-importing the updated database (which I previously cleaned from doubles.... more than 2000 entries!) I delete all my contents in Zotero.
    But when I import the new database in my emptied Zotero, it seems like it "remembers" all the previous versions of imported databases.
    Thanks for your help!
  • do you have sync enabled? Are you emptying the Zotero trash before re-importing?