(intermediate value)[Command] is not a function

I have been using Zotero for a few months with no problems. I would hit Add-in on my word document and the ability to insert a citation was easy. Now, an actual tag for Zoreto is on my word ribbon. When I hit the Zotero tab and then citation, I get the message (intermediate value)[Command] in not a function error. Any suggestions???
  • I think Zotero switched from Zotero to Zotero Standalone on the desktop screen. Did something happen?
  • one of your Zotero versions, possibly both, are not up to date. Update & this will go away.
  • edited October 10, 2015
    How did my software switch from Zotero to Zotero Standalone? I only see one program on the desktop so I do not think I have two of them. I managed to get the citation insert fixed but I no longer get prompted to select the style of the citation which is causing the footnote to look short. I am using Chicago 16 full text but the footnote does not appear complete.

What is the best way to update Zotero?
  • You'd have to have installed Zotero Standalone, that's the only way to get it (but you may be misunderstanding the difference: "Zotero Standalone" is the only software that would ever be on your Desktop. The other Zotero is a Firefox add-on).

Under normal conditions, Zotero should and will auto-update. You can update manually in the Help menu.

You can change the citations style under Set Document Preferences in the Word add-on (that's always been the case; Zotero only prompts once per document for a citation style).
  • Thanks for the help. I think I have it working in the right direction again.
  • I also just had this issue, but an update fixed it, thanks!
  • Dear Smith,

I am experiencing what Kevin said- When I hit the Zotero tab and then citation, I get the message (intermediate value)[Command] in not a function error. Another issue is that i can't even see the Zotero sign at the right top of my comp on firefox in order to update it... Kindly help.
  • This sounds like you may not have Zotero 5 installed, so start with that:
    https://www.zotero.org/blog/a-unified-zotero-experience/