Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

Hi - I keep getting this error when trying to insert citations or refresh my document:

Zotero experienced an error updating your document.

The operation couldn't be completed. (OSStatus error -1708.) @[setCode:field.m:592]

I'm using Word 2011 for Mac and the latest version of Zotero standalone. I've tried restarting both apps but I still get this error. Inserting citations was working fine this morning until just a little while ago. I just created a new document and I can insert citations in it with no problems so it seems to be a problem with the word document. Any help/advice would be appreciated!
  • Now, when I try to do any Zotero operations on the document, I get this error:

Your document must be permanently upgraded in order to work with Zotero 2.1 or later. It is recommended that you make a backup before proceeding. Are you sure you want to continue?

I click OK, and I get this error:

Zotero cannot update this document because it was created by a different word processing application with an incompatible field encoding. In order to make a document compatible with both Word and OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice/NeoOffice, open the document in the word processor with which it was originally created and switch the field type to Bookmarks in the Zotero Document Preferences.

I gave the file back to its original creator but he gets the same errors...
  • Thanks. I copied the text into a new document and zotero seems to be working now.