Past & Present citation style - problem citing manuscripts

Hello,

I am using the Past and Present citation style, and for some reason when I cite a manuscript the 'archive' and 'location in archive' fields do not appear in the footnote. I would like to understand why. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? The manuscripts I cite tend to have titles, so what I am getting in the footnote is:

'Title', f. 1-2.

instead of

'Title, Archive, MS 100, f. 1-2.

Any advice about what I need to do differently would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
  • update your styles (Update Now in the general tab of the Zotero preferences) and this should work now.
  • Thank you so much! That worked!

One more question. Now the title of my manuscripts are no longer surrounded by quotation marks. For example, I'm getting

Title, Archive, MS 100, fos. 1-2

instead of

'Title', Archive, MS 100, fos. 1-2.

Is there something I need to do differently, or is there perhaps a glitch in the style?

Many thanks for your help!
    Joy
  • I thought of an additional question. Is it possible to have the full name of an archive appear in the first citation, followed by an abbreviation in subsequent citations (for example Archives nationales followed by AN)?

Many thanks,
    Joy
  • The lack of quotation marks is on purpose. It's my best interpretation of what they want based on:
    John Bristow to duke of Newcastle, 17 Aug. 1743: BL, Add. MS 32701 (Newcastle Papers), fos. 37–8.

And no, there's no way to automate short forms for archives in subsequent citations.
  • Thank you again for your swift replies. It's true that some manuscript titles/names don't require quotation marks. Mine do, so I guess I'll need to add those by hand. It's helpful to know there is currently no way to automate short forms in subsequent citations. Do you think that is a feature that could someday be added, along with controls for whether or not manuscript titles have quotation marks?

Thank you so much for your help!
    Joy
  • So, what determines whether manuscripts need quotation marks? I don't see anything in Past&Present's description of their citation style.

Zotero does allow for shortened titles (and generally shortened citations) for subsequent cites. It's specifically abbreviated archive names that aren't possible. Not sure if we'll add that. Not any time soon.