Grouping several different citations of the same author

Hello everyone,

I've frankenstein'd together a citation style based on APA 6th. I've converted the in-line citation to footnotes and I would like my footnote containing citations from the same author to look like this:
Liebowitz (1985; 2005; 2006)

Currently it looks like this:
Liebowitz (1985); (2005); (2006)

I've tried grouping elements together in the visual editor and played around with prefixes and suffixes but it seems like each citation is formatted as its own object minus the name of the author (I haven't figured out where the omission of the author's name comes from either) so that my own efforts usually turn out with the suffix ")" assigned to each citation instead of the "group".

Liebowitz (1985); 2005); 2006)

Can anyone help?
  • we'd have to see the style. post to gist.github.com (you don't need to register) and link from here.
    Generally you'd want to look at collapse="year" (which looks like may be implemented already.)

It may be, though, this isn't possible if your generic form for a citation is Liebowitz (1985). We certainly don't have any style like that.
  • Thanks for the quick reply!

Here's the link to the style: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/6d6a4f4722c367e03927

I've read through the cite-collapsing part of the CSL specification and checked the style itself. Collapse-Year is indeed active and from what I grasped it only interacts with delimiters and disambiguation suffixes, for which I don't see how I would be able to utilize them to achieve my desired output.
  • <layout delimiter="; " suffix=")" >
    <group delimiter="(" >
    <text macro="author-short" suffix=" "/>
    <group>
    <text macro="issued-year"/>
    <text macro="citation-locator"/>
    </group>
    </group>
    </layout>

works, though it's admittedly a bit ugly and it will miss a parenthesis if you use suppress author.