Does a large hierarchy of subcollections degrade performance?

I have a relatively small Zotero library (~2500 items, maybe a third of which have attached files), but I've recently started to experience performance issues -- when I first open the Zotero panel, and at seemingly random times afterwards, my browser will hang from several seconds to a minute ("Firefox (Not Responding)"). Searching the forums for possible explanations, it seems like the size of my library isn't the issue.

The only explanation I can think of is that I have a very hierarchical collection organization. For ease of reference, I've compiled a comprehensive bibliography of the main journals in my field in a structure like this:

My Library -> Subject -> Journal -> Volume 9 (2009) -> Issue 1 (January 2009) -> [several items]

...repeated for the entire runs of several journals. Could this be the cause of the performance problems?
  • Unlikely. Do the hangs happen if you temporarily disable auto-syncing in the Sync pane of the preferences? Can you provide a Debug ID for a hang?
  • Disabling auto-sync seems to fix the problem, thanks.
  • edited August 29, 2015
    That's not a fix, though — that was just to see if syncing was the issue. Auto-sync should be left enabled in general.

To figure out what the problem is, I still need to see a Debug ID for a sync attempt that hangs.