300mb exceeded quotations lost

Hey guys,

I just noticed that I exceeded my free storage space.
Unfortunately I was still adding more quotes and now it seems that they are lost. Its a bit weird, cause they were definitely added to my library.
Is there a way to get them back?
  • Exceeding your storage quota doesn't cause you to lose any data. You'll need to be more specific as to the problem you're facing.
  • Well a couple of days ago I added a lot of quotes with the doi button in zotero and cited them in Latex. Today I exported my .bib file to finally link this quotes with latex and noticed that some of the quotations don't exist in Zotero and also not in the .bib file any more.
  • It looks like after I reached the 300 mb the quotes could still get added in zotero, but were deleted after a while.
  • no, that wouldn't happen. Is this all on the same computer?
  • yes same computer - its actually a mac
    is there any backup option?
  • You can look if you have a time machine backup:
    https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_library_from_a_backup

But also, something odd is going on: The only way for an item to disappear from Zotero is for you (or someone synced to your account, technically speaking) to explicitly move that item to the trash.

The storage quota a) only affects attachments and b) doesn't affect what you can save on your local computer (which is always unlimited), so it's very unlikely to have anything to do with what you're seeing.
    You're always looking in the same place? Or maybe you have Zotero Standalone and Zotero for Firefox?
  • I used firefox for fast saving of the quotes, but since sometimes it was not working properly I changed to put in the doi manually in the standalone version of my computer.
  • ay just found the solution - don't know how, but the quotes were moved in the folder for "entries without libraries"
    is zotero doing this automatically? looks like all the quotes who were not related to a file where moved out of my standard folder in this folder

however I'm glad that nothing is lost! :)

much thanks adamsmith
  • OK, check if the library is the same in the Firefox version (with Standalone closed) and in the Standalone version. That would be my best guess at this point.
  • they'd still be in "My Library", too. But yes, Zotero automatically categorizes items that aren't in any collection as "Unfiled"