Add/Edit Citation Zotero Formatting Error

I've seemed to run into a bug or a glitch with Zotero's Citation Editor in Word 2010 (on Windows 7 Professional). After I've initially selected my reference from the Add-Ins bar, I go into the Editor to see how my citation will display and for titles of works, journal pub names, etc. I consistently get three curly braces (squiggly brackets), a back slash, and an "i" at the beginning of the text along with one curly brace at the end of the text. It appears that it's trying to wrap the text around something using a command prompt. If I don't delete the braces and the other characters, plus manually change the style to italics on the formatting toolbar, my citation appears with character errors in my endnotes/annotations as well as in the final bibliography. I've searched the Zotero forums and I haven't been able to find users with the same issue. Pretty much everything else is working (e.g., synching citations, importing the metadata from folders within the vendor databases, etc.). I'm running Version 4.0.27.5. It's installed properly in Firefox and as an extension in Word.

Has anyone experienced these kind of display problems? I'm wondering if there are settings within any of the tabs in Preferences that I should modify? I don't know why it just won't display the text in italics as it used to do. All of the fields in my Zotero Library that would usually italicize words automatically don't contain any curly braces or funny characters. If there isn't a solution to this, would it help to uninstall Zotero and then reinstall it?
  • don't re-install Zotero--it's unlikely to help.
    Do update to 4.0.28, though -- unlikely to fix it, but always best to work with the current version (came out last night).

What happens if you don't look at items in the editor but just insert the citations?
  • I installed 4.0.28, restarted Firefox and Word, and inserted a new citation without bringing up the Editor and it displayed properly!

I tried inserting a different citation and pulled up the Editor and the curly braces were still present. However, the italicized words showed up correctly.

When I click on the "Edit Citation" icon on the toolbar and actually modify something in the citation, then the citation appears with "\i" right before the work or pub name (without italics). That's what happens when it's inserted into my Word doc. So I guess for citations that I need to edit (e.g., changing the case), I will need to delete the braces and italicize the words within the Editor? I won't have to do it every time I bring up a citation but just ones that need modification. Does that sound like the best option until it gets fixed? Is there another way around it?
  • You shouldn't need the editor at all. You should be able to edit directly in Word -- thought test this out before relying on it (i.e. switch the citation style and see if Zotero asks you what to do with the citation).

I'd also recommend fixing capitalization issues in Zotero directly, not in your Word document so you only have to do it once. Titles in sentence case: https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/sentence_casing display correctly in all citation styles (with the possible exception of titles that include multiple languages, which require a workaround).