Export into Word or Pages

Is it possible to export from Zotero into Word, Pages, or an RTF file? I've tried all of the available options that appear (copied below) and none of them seem to work, i.e. none of them export in a way that can be easily copied into a blank document.

bibtex
bookmarks
mods
refer
rdf_bibliontology
rdf_dc
rdf_zotero
ris
wikipedia
  • What are you trying to achieve with this?
  • I want to export my bibliography so that I can add or somehow paste it into a word or pages document. My book manuscript is over 200 pages long and so I want to merge the book manuscript with the bibliography into a single document.
  • Please see https://www.zotero.org/support/creating_bibliographies

You have options for either generating the bibliography as RTF that can be imported into either of those programs or for tighter integreation into Word: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_integration
  • Thanks for these links. I have tried to follow the instructions but am still not able to export from my Zotero bibliography into a Word or Pages or RTF document. It only shows me the option of exporting to a website, which I do not want to do.

To clarify: I did NOT use Zotero when writing my book manuscript in Word. I simply entered the citations as footnotes manually. And I do not want to now enter citations in the book manuscript using Zotero.
    I used Zotero just to create a bibliography and I have two collections (one for my book manuscript and one for another article). I now simply want to export the entire collection for the book manuscript (over 100 bibliographic entries) into Word, Pages, or an RTF document. I did this once before several months ago, but in the meantime the settings must have changed because I cannot figure out how to do it now. Thank you for your help!!
  • It only shows me the option of exporting to a website, which I do not want to do.
    Which version of Zotero are you using and which citation style have you selected? When you select to choose to create a bibliography from selected references, it should give you the option to save as RTF (can be imported into either program), save as HTML (can be imported into either program), copy to clipboard (should be paste-able into either program), or to print.
  • I think the problem here is the word "Export" -- Zotero doesn't regard what you want as exporting, so it won't be listed as an option under "Export Selected Items" (which is for exporting into bibliographic data formats).

You want to use "Create Bibliography from Selected Items" as noksagt and the links he posted describe. (and FWIW, none of this has changed, you're likely just misremembering how you did this).
  • OK. How can I select ALL items in a library? It seems that I can select only the items on one page, up to 25. Therefore I can create bibliograhies of no more than 25 items!
  • Mseleznev: You want to be using the Zotero client, not the website. All the instructions you read will be about the former, which is what you should use for any significant amount of work with Zotero.
  • I have the same problem and it's driving me mad! Why is it so complicated to simply transfer the entire bibliographic contents of zotero into my Word document?
  • edited October 7, 2020
    Ms Raffleasia: This thread is 5 years old, and it's not at all clear what problem you're referring to. Getting a bibliography from Zotero into Word is trivial, but there are various ways to do it. Start a new thread and explain what you're actually trying to do and where you're having trouble.
This discussion has been closed.