Problems after Firefox update

Hi,

after the latest Firefox update I can't insert or edit citations in Word anymore. I get the following error message: "Firefox konnte die zur Kommunikation mit Ihrer Textverarbeitung notwendige Komponente nicht laden. Bitte stellen Sie sicher, dass Sie die korrekte Firefox-Erweiterung installiert haben, und versuchen Sie es dann erneut."

I already deleted the Zotero add-on and reinstalled it but it did't change anything.

I have the following versions: Firefox 39.0; Zotero 4.0.27.4

Thank you!
  • Similar problem here. I just updated Firefox and I cannot add new references in Word. I tried reinstalling the Word integration add-on, but it didn't solve it:

"Zotero could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate extension is installed and try again."

Firefox v39.0; Zotero v4.0.27.5
  • Pyrolobus: Can you provide a Report ID?
  • Just submitted: 1277076383
  • Pyrolobus: Start by disabling your other Firefox extensions. If that doesn't help, what version of Word?
  • Also, check the Browser Console to see if there are any messages (not errors) that seem relevant. Some failures related to this could appear as messages rather than errors and therefore wouldn't end up in the error report.
  • I disabled all FF extensions other than Zotero with no luck. I ended removing the Word plugin and reinstalling it and now it works without problem.
  • Hi,
    I have the same problem. how do I remove the Word plugin?
  • Just re-install the Word add-on from the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences. There's a button.
  • Every time Firefox updates the z disappears. now I can't even re-install the add-on. Maddening!!!!!!
  • if you provide us with more details (which versions, what have you tried to troubleshoot, what exactly happens when you try to install, any other details that could be relevant), we're happy to try to help.
  • I ended up having to remove the Word plugin and reinstalling it, now it is working. I guess I have to do that every time Firefox is updated. What a pain.

I'm still having problems with my ipad, but I've posted that in the proper topic, I think, re: getting in a repeating loop of requests for email validation.

Thanks.
  • We're not aware of any issues with any of the add-ons after Firefox updates, so can't say much about that without more details.
  • Hi there. I haven't used Zotero for a few weeks and went to use it now after updating Firefox to find that my database seems to have entirely disappeared from the Standalone version. I've logged an error report: 1281207907 Any / all ideas of help very welcome! Thanks.
  • @JanKConstantine -- please start a new thread & describe exactly what you're seeing.
  • After a Firefox update zotero disappeared completely. There is an icon on my desktop Old Firefox Data with my zotero files in it, created that day. I have copied these files to an external HD. I have downloaded Zotero afresh but the my library is empty. If I use sync will the library restore from the server, or will my blank library wipe my stored files?? Help!!!
  • And how do I prevent Firefox updates from doing this again??
  • You'll have to ask Mozilla.
  • Sorry, how do I locate my Zotero data directory while keeping Firefox closed, if Zotero is inside Firefox? If I close Firefox, Zotero is closed.
  • Locate the directory, open it in your file browser (Windows Explorer, Finder), close Firefox.
  • Hi, many thanks for the link above, I followed the 'restore after Firefox reset' instructions. I got as far as renaming my zotero.sqlite file to zotero.sqlite.old, and finding my old Zotero data directory on my desktop.
    However, I ran into a problem tryng to move the data file to my new Zotero data directory: within the 'move' command, it is impossible to locate the directory to move the file to. I was looking for ThisPC>windows8_OS(c:)>users>Julie>appdata>roaming>Mozilla>Firefox>profiles>(and then my file number).zotero and I couldn't get past >users! The Windows 8 OS (c:) option gives me only >users>public and then nothing! I cannot locate my Julie>appdata files anywhere. Is this a Windows 8 problem?
  • You need to show hidden file. That's under Tools-->Folder options. (Press the alt button to show menus in Windows)
  • But actually you don't need that: You can just do "Show data directory" in Zotero, then close down Zotero but leave that folder open.
  • I know I must sound very dim, but I can't use the copy dialogue box this way: the Zotero file will not appear in the menu in the 'copt' dialogue box. If I go 'show data directory' I simply get that: the window that opens shows me the directory but has no copy command. They are two completely separate processes.
  • I'm not quite sure I follow, but if you have two windows open in Windows explorer, you can just drag files from one to the other, or what am I missing?
  • There is no explorer in Windows 8. There is a completely different file management system which I wil try to get the hang of re online tutorials!
  • There most definitely is a File Explorer in Windows 8 and you can drag items between its Windows. Just get yourself to the regular start screen and this will work like previous Windows versions for all practical purposes.
  • OK I managed to move the Storage folder(!) but the sqlite file asked me for administrator authorisation, and now says 'destination folder access denied'.
  • edited September 14, 2015
    and you don't have admin access on that computer or you're getting that error after putting in your admin password?

Or have you simply not tried moving as admin? If the latter, log in with you admin credentials, move the file, then select the zotero folder that contains it, right-click, and make sure that your regular, non-admin account has read & write permissions.

oh, and finally -- make sure Firefox isn't running while you're trying this and if you're getting stuck on a access denied issue try restarting.
  • Many thanks for your help - I have finally managed to copy both files across.
    The problem now is that when I open it, some but certainly not all of my references are visible in my Library.
    All my references were synced when I last used Zotero. (I have turned sync off for the time being.)
    If I use sync now, will the Library on the Zotero server upload to my Library, or will my Library overwrite the server? I am really worried about losing all my references!