External monitor bug in zotero standalone 4.0.27

Reproduce bug:
1. Open Zotero 4.0.27 standalone on MacOSX 10.10.4
It opens at the correct resolution

2. Drag Zotero window to a monitor with a different resolution
It does not resize correctly, and becomes unusable (the mouse is no longer correlated with the displayed window).

Examples:
-- open zotero on Macbook screen, drag it to an external monitor, and it overlays a smaller version of the zotero window ontop of the original version, which is unusable.

-- open zotero on an external monitor, and drag it to Macbook screen, and it shows a portion of a giant version of the zotero window, which is unusable.

No debug code is produced in this window drag.

Hope you can help.
Thanks.
  • I can't reproduce this, at least with two large (but different resolution) monitors. Even if I max out the Zotero window on the larger display, it resizes properly for the other.
  • I am using Firefox version 39.0.

The in-browser version of zotero works fine. Just the standalone has the problem.

Open to ideas on how to nail this one... Thanks!

(MBPro retina display, and an external monitor. I will also check the MBPro forums, and report back if I find a solution there).
  • Ah, OK, so it's scaling factor that's the issue here, not just resolution. I can reproduce this on a rMBP and non-Retina external monitor.

Issue created, though I'm not sure how much we'll be able to do here. This is probably a Mozilla issue of some sort, though Firefox seems to avoid it somehow.
  • OK, open about:config from the Advanced pane of the Zotero preferences, search for layers.acceleration.disabled, and double-click it to set it to false rather than true. Then restart Zotero and I believe this will go away.

Setting that to false reenables hardware acceleration, which is currently disabled by default, though I'm not sure why. (It's enabled in Firefox, and there's a bug in Firefox 39, which the latest version of Zotero is based on, that causes this bug to occur when acceleration is disabled.) Assuming there are no ill effects from reenabling acceleration, we'll fix this for the next version.
  • Thank you Dan Stillman. That did the trick. I was going nuts, trying to figure out how to fix it. I have a Macbook with external monitor, and started getting the same problem. Thanks again.
    best, --john
  • Thanks Dan,
    Changing that config setting worked.
  • Glad I found this - the scaling has been a huge pain. Is there any reason for hardware acceleration to be disabled? A year later (version 4.0.29.5) and the default still hasn't changed.
  • This is fixed in the latest version of Mac Standalone, 4.0.29.11, available now. Sorry for the delay in getting this fix out.