Converting pdfs stored in Zotero to linked files

Is there is any way to shift out pdfs stored in Zotero to a folder outside Zotero but retain them as linked files? I can't do this by creating the links for each file as I already have too many stored in Zotero. I am thinking of storing the pdfs in Dropbox or Box so that they are accessible across devices. I have tried several ways to sync the files across devices - Zotfile, ZotPad, PaperShip, but none of them seem to work after a point. Thanks.
  • That's exactly what ZotFile is for -- what hasn't worked for you?
  • Zotfile works fine, certainly for a few files at a time. But I need to plan ahead which files to send. This means that if want to go through a file that I hadn't uploaded through Zotfile in advance, then I can't access it on the iPad other than going to Zotero through a browser and downloading it. I haven't tried uploading the entire library through Zotfile though. In any case, it is a duplication of effort to upload files through Zotfile when they can be stored in a folder in say dropbox.
  • Oh OK, you used the "Send to Tablet" feature.
    ZotFile also has a feature to automatically move every file in Zotero to a folder specified by you. (Custom Location of Files in the General tab of the preferences) and, of course, you can just designate your Dropbox/Box.com folder as the target for that. Works very well.
    You should then also use the "Relative Link" feature in the advanced tab of Zotero so it'll work across machines.
  • Great. Shall try this out. Thanks for the help.
  • edited July 10, 2015
    I should mention -- to trigger this for existing files, once you have the custom location set, you would use "Manage Attachments --> Rename Attachments" (the name of the function is a bit misleading: it will also move the attached files).
  • Thanks a lot for the inputs. I have been trying this, and it works...generally. I think that using the rename feature on several items at the same time may cause some issues. Kindly review the error log at report ID 1116420678.

Thanks.
  • Errors:
    …AND collectionID IN (SELECT collectionID FROM collectionItems WHERE itemID=?) AND collectionID IN (SELECT collectionID FROM collectionItems WHERE itemID=?)] [ERROR: Expression tree is too large (maximum depth 1000)]
    TypeError: attachment is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotfile/content/zotfile.js" line: 3343}
  • @debchatterjee -- for how many items is this? How have you set up your custom location for ZotFile (i.e. any specificed subfolders or so)?